SD Public Pheasant Hunting Trip

Sagethecriminal

Hello guys!
I am taking a trip to hunt public land in the Webster SD area in November, there will be two dogs in our group of 5 guys staying in an Airbnb. In the past I have hunted private land near Pierre and limited out at noon at the latest. If anybody knows the area I would love to hear how you did and any tips you are willing to share.

Hello guys!
I am taking a trip to hunt public land in the Webster SD area in November, there will be two dogs in our group of 5 guys staying in an Airbnb. In the past I have hunted private land near Pierre and limited out at noon at the latest. If anybody knows the area I would love to hear how you did and any tips you are willing to share.
Webster is in Day county - not a top pheasant county in the past i.e. road counts et al.

The Webster area will take some work, not to many birds around there. Go walleye fishing instead!

There is a lot of public land in that area, but it isn't the most conducive to being pheasant habitat. Lots of pasture ground. But, it is still SD and there are pieces of cropland with sloughs nearby available to hunt.

Personally, I'd split the group into 2 and 3 people, each headed a different direction, scouting and hunting as you went. There's decent bird hunting to be had, but it will take some effort to find it.

Hello guys!
There just ain't that many wpa's in that area of the state, like was said before lots of pasture. if you watch videos of public land the guys shooting the most birds are on wpa's. Sorry, if you were always limiting by noon you were hunting pen birds. Public might be a rude awakening. Not impossible but way WAY different.

The private ground was a farmer that is now passed away and I guess the family doesn't allow hunting anymore. I have done some scouting on onX and found some good looking WPA North and West of Webster. Our usual hunting spots are in southwest Iowa on a big WMA, not a lot of birds. Thanks guys I really appreciate the help, I would be lost without you guys!❤️

You will do just fine in that area if the birds dont have a bad hatch. We deer hunt near there and have no problems getting our birds between the am and pm deer hunt on public land. Be ready to cover lots of WIAs and other public accessible areas early and then have at them at ten. Goodluck, public birds taste way better than the private ones too:)

There is a lot of public land in that area, but it isn't the most conducive to being pheasant habitat. Lots of pasture ground. But, it is still SD and there are pieces of cropland with sloughs nearby available to hunt.

Personally, I'd split the group into 2 and 3 people, each headed a different direction, scouting and hunting as you went. There's decent bird hunting to be had, but it will take some effort to find it.
I agree with GH, i would recommend splitting your group up, more chances for success and you can cover more area. If this is the HQ of your trip you can find good ground if you area willing to travel within an hour or so of webster. I would lower your expectation of getting 15 birds by noon.

I agree with GH, i would recommend splitting your group up, more chances for success and you can cover more area. If this is the HQ of your trip you can find good ground if you area willing to travel within an hour or so of webster. I would lower your expectation of getting 15 birds by noon.
I would lower your expectation of getting 15 birds in a day.

Stay where you have been, the Webster area is not a hot spot but seems to be with hunters the last couples years. We have family there is the only reason we spend time in that area.

I live in Webster. You're better off staying west of here. Birds are slowly making a comeback but still not super numbers. Lots of public but much isn't good. Under water or mowed 3x. I don't even stay around when I pheasant hunt. I go west.

There just ain't that many wpa's in that area of the state, like was said before lots of pasture. if you watch videos of public land the guys shooting the most birds are on wpa's. Sorry, if you were always limiting by noon you were hunting pen birds. Public might be a rude awakening. Not impossible but way WAY different.
Maybe not right around Webster, but you don't have to travel very far (15-20 miles?) to be into some areas with some really pheasanty ground. i.e.: WPAs aplenty.

Back