SD in October - IC ok?

I'm shooting an A5 Sweet 16 and an SBE III 20 gauge this coming Fall precisely BECAUSE my 12 gauge leaves me "beat down ass dragging". I checked my notes and photos from last season as am reminded that on November 11, northwest of Pierre SD, in a strong (dare I say screaming) wind, with birds flushing wild and gusts approaching 66 MPH according to KELO TV, I went 3 for 3 shots on wary roosters, using Remington Express 1 1/8 ounce loads of #5 and #6 shot.in my 5.8 lb. A5. I took the shots as they presented themselves, close or farther out--but I don't take 45-50 yard shots. I just don't like lugging a 7 1/2-8 lb. 12 gauge around. And I'm well aware they sell lighter 12 gauges but I don't like getting the crap kicked out of me either.

I’m the same way. I haven’t owned a 12 in years. Shot lots of dove in Texas with a 28 and 20 gauge. Got my first 16 ga last year. My BIL has always carried a Rem 870 in 12 ga. After carrying my Franchi 48 AL 20 ga and my Benelli Legacy 20, his cheap butt bought a SBE because he was tired of lugging around a heavy 12.

I let some birds go because they are out of range, but I haven’t been yet where I didn’t get a few shots each day. If I ever get skunked, I may buy a light 12, but no plans to for now.

The IC/M combination has been my "go to" in 20ga O/U's for well over 20 years. If I use a single barrel (currently a Franchi 20ga semi-auto) I always use IC. In 20ga I prefer 3 inch 1 1/4 oz #4 or #5. I hunt ND, SD and Kansas. No wild roosters are "easy". Choose your shots and shoot well. IC/M will work fine. Even if folks are using canons, if they don't shoot well they miss! If you have the opportunity, take the gun(s) you are going to hunt with and shoot low-gun, delayed release skeet or sporting clays before you go. Not just once, but as many times as you can. Give yourself a better chance of shooting well in the field.

I only use an IC for pheasant hunting in my Monty. No reason to deviate. I do not hunt in SD but I can't imagine that MN is much different.

I only use an IC for pheasant hunting in my Monty. No reason to deviate. I do not hunt in SD but I can't imagine that MN is much different.
Original poster asked about IC in 20 gauge...

To the original poster yes you can make an IC work but as always the devil is in the details...

thanks everyone. I'm going to take the SxS 20. I may not use it. I will have my SxS 16 ga by then and will have IC, Mod, and FC in it. I'll see what they are doing. If I get close flushes, I'll shoot the 20, if not, I'll go 16. No big deal.

Main reason I'm asking is that I bought the gun used. I was told it was Mod/IM choke fixed. However, I have noted it says IMP on the right barrel and MOD on the left barrel. My understanding is the right barrel should be more open and therefore is probably IC. I will pattern it as soon as I can, but I think its IC and Mod, not IM and MOD.

All I shot last year in MN, IA & SD was my 20 & 28, both guns will work well with IC as that's all I shoot with. I shot my 28 with IC on the last day in IA last season and had no issues with BOSS #4's and a couple flushing labs so all shots were 20-35 yds.

Back