Sd Hunt Report

Spent a few days in SD the first of Dec and just want to give a short report. We were fortunate and got on some private land and were able to get several pheasants. After hunting primarily public in the past it was much different on public. Though the warm temps seem to make the birds jumpy, the landowners knowledge of where the birds would go helped us get our phez everyday. We were also able to take three prairie chickens, a first for me.

We were north and west of Mitchell and habitat, for the most part, looked poor due to the drought. Not much cover in the ditches, but we did see about three public areas that looked good and that had birds. I have read the concerns on here about habitat and will have to say I see where that news is coming from. I hope yall get some moisture soon. On the other hand, the weather was very mild, even downright warm and that may help with winter survival as the habitat waits for a rain.

Overall, a great hunt, not just because we were able to get in some birds, but just because we were there. We met some great folks and enjoyed visiting with several in your state. My dogs did some decent work, one of the locals tried to buy my 4 month old Brit pup, but he is part of the family and I could not part with him.

The only problem I had with our trip - it just makes me want to come back. Have a Merry Christmas and God bless each of you and hope to be there next year - public or private.

I also just returned from south dakota.Me and my buddy seen a ton of birds ,crp was thin from the drought.Pheasants where all bunched togeter and where well educated and very spooky.But i will be back and had a great time,just plan on going earlier in the year,next year.THX South Dakota for having us.

Back