SD Crop Report - July 28

jonnyB

Some interesting numbers regarding the crop progress in South Dakota:

Corn Silking - 27%...last year 90%...average 77%

Dough - 2%...last yr. 31%...average 13%

I'm usually a little uncertain how to interpret these things. I assume they're talking about % of the corn that was actually planted, as opposed to % of the average corn acres (or some other baseline).
Does anyone know for sure?
I read that corn acres are down 9-10% from last year. Driving around southeastern SD, it sure seems like there's a LOT less corn planted than usual. There must've been some areas that were able to actually plant MORE corn than usual, which surprises me.

I believe it's the per cent of all corn planted...their web site also gave the progress for wheat, sorghum soy beans, sun flowers et al.

It is for the percent that got planted. I do know some farmers that planted more corn then normal this year because of what the expect the price to be versus the price of beans. Will see if that was the right move or not but from a hunting standpoint I was glad to hear it.

Overall USDA is calling SD corn acres at 4.8 million acres planted, down 9% from last year and early call on harvested acres is 4.32 million acres down 11% from last year. Lower harvested largely attributed to drowned out fields.

The crop is also behind in maturity which means there's gonna be a lot of corn standing early part of the season.

I'm heading out towards Hayes SD this weekend to help with the wheat harvest at the guys place we hunt on this fall. Will have a detailed report of brood numbers and crops Sunday evening.

Crop report:8/5/19

From sd border to highway 83 on i-90. 50% of the crops were never put in. The ones that managed to get the seed in the ground look like horse crud. beans are short corn is just tasseling. the farmer who I helped harvest wheat didn't even get to plant 750 acres of milo. he did manage to get 42 acres in and hid food plots were put in beginning of July. Honestly I'd buy a duck hunting license if there are any available in the area you pheasant hunt. Incredible amounts of water and tons of ducks.

brood report- where we hunt out by hayes saw 2 broods within a mile of each other on sunday morning in the fog/heavy dew hanging out on the gravel road. 12-14 chicks in each one which is promising.. they were only 4 weeks old. very small chicks.
guessing these are 2nd nesting effort since the conditions in June were better than may and july out there. the cover out there is insane this year. The cows can barely keep the grass down.

Back