Scouting

dukhnter7

Spent some time traveling the back roads between Otis and Yuma. Most of the dry land corn is out and they are cutting the irrigated stuff. Didn't see any birds. It is still really dry out there.

wrong place

Spent some time traveling the back roads between Otis and Yuma. Most of the dry land corn is out and they are cutting the irrigated stuff. Didn't see any birds. It is still really dry out there.

even in a good year you would have been lucky to see a pheasant in that area west of yuma, really fringe country, had you gone to yuma and north or south you might have seen a bird, might!

cheers

Not all doom and gloom

...The college buddy whose farms I hunt said that he saw decent/normal numbers of birds before corn got high, 1/2 dry 1/2 irrigated. CRP acreage is down but what is there is quality. His corn is still up and will be until after opener. He swears he doesn't do it on purpose, but I think (hopes) that he plans it that waysince neither of us can get out until later in the month each year due to kids in sports :D.. North Of Yuma

Hunted in Nebraska this weekend. I didn't see a single pheasant driving in Colorado. Sunday I left Nebraska early to scout around Holyoke and the cover didn't look great. Farmers were out picking corn in both Colorado and Nebraska.

Back