Scammers!!!

Personaly I am kind of in the mindset that we better do something about getting more people hunting, and involved with shooting sports. Or in todays world of attacking your rights will take a larger foot hold. And we stand a chance to lose our rights. Everyone of us should look to take new people, young people, out hunting. And take the time to teach that safety and respect for the land. We should worry far less about "hiding" in the shadows of greed in hopes that we can stuff more game in the freezer than last season.

The more people we convert to hunting and shooting sports, the better chance we have of keeping it. Right down to the dollar that pays for your public lands ;).

Read more than write but this post is where I tend to fall, don't let a bad experience ruin your overall perspective...I've been blessed to make many more good friendships hunting than bad over the years, some from this very forum. If nothing else, I really try to open the door for the youngsters and newbies...someone did for me back in the day so just trying to pay it forward.

Youth Trap and Skeet leagues have huge participation numbers including the state of MN. Gun clubs are now in short supply in some areas of the state, most are healthy again.

Many of the participants come from non-hunting households so this should only improve understanding of gun ownership.

Hunting on the other hand is not improving in numbers, I would argue access to land (with huntable bird populations) is a primary reason across the Metro area and even across much of ag country. As you move north into grouse country, access to good habitat is less of an issue.

More people live in the metro, more people live in bigger cities. Every hunting trip tends to be an excursion with as much time driving as hunting. Youth need to have places to go that are half hour away from where they live or they find other activities.

"More people live in the metro, more people live in bigger cities. Every hunting trip tends to be an excursion with as much time driving as hunting. Youth need to have places to go that are half hour away from where they live or they find other activities."

Sadly, this is true.

"More people live in the metro, more people live in bigger cities. Every hunting trip tends to be an excursion with as much time driving as hunting. Youth need to have places to go that are half hour away from where they live or they find other activities."

Sadly, this is true.

Sadly it is true. Youth these days are soft. When things get real and they are not at the game farm or on youth hunt set up by their dad on a hot buck trail they shut down, quit. Nothing in it for THEM. Not speaking for all 100% of youth here but the trend is certainly different these days. I grew up in the cities, had to drive 4 hours each way to our excursions, sometimes we did well, sometimes terrible, but that didnt matter to me. I just had so much fun being part of the "guys" and our family tradition. This was all while i was only allowed to carry a BB gun mind you! I didn't even have any skin in the game and I still loved it. I wasnt allowed to participate in the actual shooting of game just yet. growing up i remember not being able to sit still in my school desk in anticipation of the upcoming hunting trip that weekend. Dad didnt hunt so i had no dad to pave a way. hunted with my uncles who took me under their wing. I just simply cannot justify the location of hunting grounds on the decrease in youth numbers. Youth have the same resources as we did (if not more now with youth hunts) as we did growing up. Acres have shrunk yes but still just enough ample opportunity as anyone else. Its the passion to be in the outdoors creating a tradition, that is lacking. Cant watch youtube from the field....

Back