Saying Hello to my New Friends

M31Lover

Jeff from south Jersey here. Quail hunting had long been my passion until, sadly, they became nearly extinct here, and the season was closed 10 or so years ago.

Upland hunting in NJ is now limited to released pheasants. I'm fortunate to live within a 10 minute drive to hundreds of acres of stocked WMA fields, so it keeps me in the game.

I'm retiring in two months, and am looking forward to welcoming a new pup into our home. It's been 4 years since my beloved Lab, Petey, was lost to cancer, and it's time for a new recruit.

Jeff from south Jersey here. Quail hunting had long been my passion until, sadly, they became nearly extinct here, and the season was closed 10 or so years ago.

Upland hunting in NJ is now limited to released pheasants. I'm fortunate to live within a 10 minute drive to hundreds of acres of stocked WMA fields, so it keeps me in the game.

I'm retiring in two months, and am looking forward to welcoming a new pup into our home. It's been 4 years since my beloved Lab, Petey, was lost to cancer, and it's time for a new recruit.

One of the first things you might do is read A HUNTER'S ROAD, by Jim Fergus. It's a very well-written book by a hunter who took to the road for about five months, touring America with his sort-of trained young Lab.

It might give you some ideas.

Enjoy your retirement.

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys.
I do have one of Fergus' books stashed away in my "library", but my long-time favorite writer is the late Havilah Babcock. His stories of quail hunting in the deep south in the first half of the past century are timeless. Wish I could have been there.

Back