Sand Lake National Wildlife Refuge

I'm probably going to pass on visiting there in the next few weeks. I love cattails, but the problem I run into is I'm determined...

Okay, I'm a few hundred yards in but there's a group of birds I saw land another 100 yards ahead... then another.. and another... before I know it I'm a mile in. Ah heck, I've made it this far, don't be weak, might as well keep going. Oh Shoot, I am now 2 miles in and also have to walk this back out. Or maybe if I keep going I'll come to a better path out (that never comes)... Then I finally get a shot on a bird but I'm too tired and miss, or the retrieve is dang near impossible as it lands in the sea of cattails.

I'm probably going to pass on visiting there in the next few weeks. I love cattails, but the problem I run into is I'm determined...

Okay, I'm a few hundred yards in but there's a group of birds I saw land another 100 yards ahead... then another.. and another... before I know it I'm a mile in. Ah heck, I've made it this far, don't be weak, might as well keep going. Oh Shoot, I am now 2 miles in and also have to walk this back out. Or maybe if I keep going I'll come to a better path out (that never comes)... Then I finally get a shot on a bird but I'm too tired and miss, or the retrieve is dang near impossible as it lands in the sea of cattails.
That's it exactly!! I haven't been up in years, but there used to be food plots too. And some trees. And you could hunt some spots "as though" they were smaller (if that makes any sense). But eventually the lure of roosters in hell overpowers you & you end up in the middle of it.
Up along the northwest edge, there used to be a fenceline w/ a bunch of old boots on the posts. Anyone know if that's still there? I always suspected the boots were found in the refuge. No bones. No nothing else. Just a pair of boots. Sand Lake claimed everything else.

Agree a 100% jrabbit!

Back