safety briefing

cadence

Hi all
I participated on the other board somewhat and have watched this board really pick up the flag and run with it following the collapse of the other board.
For pheasant hunters, it's become the most wonderful time of the year, of course so I'll add my 2 cents to the discussion.
My topic is for those hunters that hunt in large groups common in South Dakota and how they stay safe. I know there's the usual stuff about wearing orange and all, but my question is what do those who hunt in large groups do or say to emphasize safety, if anything?
Here's what my group does: Wear orange. I don't get those vests that have orange only on the patch pockets. I want my orange up high on the shoulders. Secondly, wear glasses. We say our first aid kits aren't equipped to do eyes. When we get to the end of the walk and walkers and blockers have caught up with each other, I don't shoot if I see any orange down range. That is, I need to have a clear field because the shot has to fall somewhere. Our final rule is that we have a fine jar that if we get in the vehicle without the gun being safed, you pay the kitty. On our several days of hunting we rarely collect more than about ten bucks. It's a small thing but it makes everyone think.
The large groups have an added layer of risk that isn't present when there's only a handful of hunters behind a dog or 2, so I'm curious if anyone has developed their own ways of staying safe.
Hope this topic adds something as everyone heads out over the next several weeks.
C.

If someone didn't have their safety on while hunting or unload their gun before putting it away, they wouldn't have to worry about a fine jar but just worry about walking home. I guess thats why I hunt in small groups and a select few.

If someone didn't have their safety on while hunting or unload their gun before putting it away, they wouldn't have to worry about a fine jar but just worry about walking home. I guess thats why I hunt in small groups and a select few.
x2................

Back