Sadie

Hubsker

Sadie has a lump. The news was bad this morning. The vet said the sarcoma is the worst (fastest) kind. Two days ago during the ultrasound he said he suspected it was bad and she might only have until the "end of the year". After getting the lab work back he changed that to "by halloween". We already have three prescriptions for pain medicine.

We noticed the lump three weeks ago and it has grown fast since. She already seems older. She is only eight. She was my first hunting dog and has been my most faithful and enjoyable hunting partner. I still can't believe how easy she made it to train her and how much more she learned each year.

Last year I wrote about our hunt in Kansas and how she waited patiently for me to stop yelling "Dead bird, Here!!!" So she could finally finish tracking the bird. I turned around and she was gone again I yelled "Sadie!!!" She came running back. I turned around to say something in a mean voice and she had the bird in her mouth.

There was her first double on quail, diving for ducks (wow), swimming laps in the lake for the fun of it, all the cripled birds that would have been lost, car rides, hotel beds, talks, shared excitments and even the time after a blizzard, by Tucumcari, NM, we were stuck on the highway with thosands of others and we entertained them with doubles and blind retrieves all morning.

I hope to take her hunting one more time. I was thinking a pheasant shoot with planted, easy on the body, birds that would give her and me a few hours of pleasure. Somewhere close to Albuquerque for an easy ride. Or maybe lots of time, down on the rug, scratching her chin, and talking about "Dead Birds" and such.

Wes

Sorry to hear about sadie. But it sounds like you will have plenty of good memories once she is gone.

Thanks. Have had a busy month. Went archery elk hunting in Co. (big 6x6 in freezer). My wife and Sadie went the first few days and we had a few good hikes. Sadie is still doing well. She has been on pain pills and seems fine, but the bump is getting bigger and we will have to deal with this soon.

Wes,

Sorry to hear about your Sadie. Words don't adequately express one feelings for our dogs.

Sorry about Sadie , The same thing happened to my lab Dakota 2 years ago. Came back from a paid hunt in Ohio and he started he getting down, notice 2 lumps that were'nt there a week ago. Three weeks later I had the vet put him down. The people down a Purdue are some of the best around and it is not a good thing for anybodys best friend to have to go thru. Sorry about your loss I do know how you feel.

Back