SAC City?

Fryman

Made a trip to Greene County with my 5 month old pup earlier this month and had a great time. We probably saw 150 birds and while many flushed early, we were able to take a few home. The pheasant numbers in KS are in the pits, so I'm glad I was able to get him on some roosters.

With the season winding down and an out-of-state license in hand, I'm thinking about making a 2nd trip to IA before the season ends. I don't have access to the ground I hunted earlier, so I'm looking at public areas on DNR. Really hoping to get my pup some more first-season bird work.

Since it will be a short trip, I'd like to keep the drive reasonable and not stray north of Storm Lake / Cherokee and stay west of I35. How is the public in/around SAC county? Any suggestions/tips for the area and recommendations re dog-friendly lodging would be appreciated.

Thanks and good luck hunting!

There are some large tracts in Sac that hold lots of birds and is good late season hunting...with snow. This season has been weird that way, but Sac is as good a bet as any.

Good to hear. Got a room in Sac City and will explore the area. Thanks!

Update: was out for a couple of hours in the nastiness and saw about 10 birds. They were holding ok. Hopefully tomorrow is not as wet.

Last edited:
Back