S.Dak. hunt today

Weimdogman

Went out around noon today , 34° wind 6 to 10 , and spent close to a hour in a cattail slough. Ran 2 of my dogs.Private ground that gets a moderate amount of pressure. Saw probably 30 birds. I got the only 2 roosters that flushed with in range. Did get a couple nice points on hens- neither stayed long enough for pictures.😉

I have hunted this ground for 30 years and the last 2 years have seen fewer birds. I have only hunted it late in the season I know it gets hunted more now so pressure has chased some birds away. There is also less habitat in the vicinity due to the 2 consecutive dry years. Of the 30 birds only 6 were roosters- 2 that I got- 2 that flushed way ahead - and 2 that flew in but must have left when I shot the second bird.

As for the 2 I got they were young birds that were very healthy ! They are dressed out and now whole in a stock pot prepping for white chilli. Birds were fat enough that I am going to have to skim the stock.

Thanks for the report. Despite the conditions, pheasants are finding places to roost and eat. I personally believe that some of them are travelling miles to find it. But they'll find what they need.

A few of us went out for 3 hours today and saw a hen. It was all public, and the walking sucked. Saw a few sets of tracks. Other than a couple pieces of private we do the last weekend, Im done for the year.

Back