Rush County

Rush and Ness

A stranger at a gas station last Sunday who was heading home after hunting told me that he had excellent hunting in Rush Co.

I spent some time in Rush county this year and there are good numbers of roosters there; not bad quail numbers compared to this side of the state.

Just got back from our trip. We hunted Pawnee, Rush, Ness, & Gove counties. Seen decent numbers in Ness & Rush. We managed to get 15 between 3 of us in 2 days of hunting. Most were young birds. All others were in huge uncut milo fields which were impossible to hunt. We didn't have many shots and luckily made the most of the ones we had.

Two of us took a day trip to northern Rush county yesterday. We saw four roosters and one hen. We brought home three of the roosters. We hunted the heaviest cover we could find, all walk-in, most had milo or wheat stubble nearby. The walk-in areas have been hit hard!!! We saw several birds on private land, most were standing under NO HUNTING signs. I think the hunting pressure has pushed the birds into the less hunted private grounds. Whiteowl, I sent you a PM.

Last edited:
Two of us took a day trip to northern Rush county yesterday. We saw four roosters and one hen. We brought home three of the roosters. We hunted the heaviest cover we could find, all walk-in, most had milo or wheat stubble nearby. The walk-in areas have been hit hard!!! We saw several birds on private land, most were standing under NO HUNTING signs. I think the hunting pressure has pushed the birds into the less hunted private grounds. Whiteowl, I sent you a PM.

3 WIHA roosters sounds like a pretty good day for Kansas this late in the season.
I'm trying to convince myself to make another trip next month.
Keep the reports coming!

Happy Hunting

Lefty

Back