Ruby's ruptured CCL - TPLO versus Tightrope CCL

Dewey

On my last hunt this December, my Chocolate lab ruptured her cranial cruciate ligament (CCL). When I went to the one of the vets here in Sioux Falls that specializes in ortho, he mentioned he did two procedures - the "Fishline method" and the tibial plateau leveling osteotomy (TPLO) method. He recommended the TPLO method because Ruby is a larger lab.

The TPLO method has very good results in returning the dog to it's previous level of activity, but it is a very invasive procedure in which the dog's upper part of the tibia bone is cut, repositioned, and plated with six screws.

This appeared it might be the only option for Ruby, but it my research I read about a new method this year called the Tightrope CCL. Developed by a vet at the University of Missouri. This method is VERY new, but everything I've read about it has been positive in the stories and forums I've read this past week. One of the stories out of Minnesota was about a yellow lab that had this procedure done in early September this year and actually hunting pheasants by the end of October.

I found the vet that did the procedure on the yellow lab and called him. He was trained by the vet out of the U of Missouri last January. He mentioned that he does both the TPLO and the Tightrope method and has done many of the Tightrope procedures this year. In fact, he was doing 2 surgeries on the day I visited with him. He said a lot of his clients are opting for the Tightrope versus the TPLO.

It's been a trying time for me trying to decide which way to go with Ruby, but I've reached the conclusion that I'm going with the new procedure. Ruby is scheduled for surgery this Monday. The trip is a 3 1/2 hour trip so I'm heading out on Sunday, surgery on Monday and coming home on Tuesday. I'll be working with a cannine rehab center to learn the therapy needed for Ruby's rehab.

I'm starting this thread and plan to provide updates on how things are going for Ruby as she recover from the surgery and the rehab. Going to be a tough couple of months, but I'm going to get Ruby and I through it. I know all activity (as it progresses) must be done on a leash. Not looking forward to the early morning and before bed outdoor exercises in the winter months, but at least Ruby should be through rehab to enjoy the summer.

Sorry to hear about Ruby. Sounds like you have a good plain in place to get her healed up and back in the feild..good luck

Surgery Update

Ruby had her Tightrope CCL on Monday. It seems the biggest challenge so far was the 240 mile trip from Sioux Falls, SD to Rochester, Mn. We traveled in zero degree temps and 35/40 mph winds that created near blizzard conditons. Thankfully, the roads held up and it only took an additional hour of driving time to reach our destination.

The surgery went very well. The CCL ligament was torn, but there was no cartilage or meniscus damage in the knee. Also, no arthritis in the joint yet. The vet said that if the rehab goes well, the knee should recover to full function with very little arthritis.

The first two days have gone very well. She is staying quiet and eating & drinking well. We can tell when she's in discomfort because she will start breathing quicker and become restless. The meds do a great job of settling her down again.

We have a walk out basement so I wasn't going to deal with the steps for the next few weeks to use the back yard. The neighbors probably thought I had too much eggnog when I used the snowblower to clear off the front lawn. I use a sling around Ruby's back and a short leash to help support her for going outside. Fortunately, she usually gets her job done pretty quick so we can get back out of cold.

Anyway, so far - so good. Hoping the next 88 days of rehab go as well!

Last edited:
Good to hear that Ruby should make a full recovery Dewey. Ruby's lucky to have such a dedicated owner.

Btw... thanks for the tip on snow-blowing the yard so the dog has a place to conduct business. I'm gonna try that too. :D

Good luck with Ruby! I'm sure all will be well with such a GREAT OWNER!

Just wondering how old is your Lab? How is she built? More on the American or British lines.

Ruby is a five year old lab. I'm far from a dog expert, but my understanding is that the British lines are usually smaller than the American lines. Ruby is a tall lab that weighs 80 lbs so I'm guessing she is from the American lines.

The vet did mention that the ccl tear appears to be from a traumatic injury which could have been from anything hunting to playing in the back yard. The best guess is something happened recently that tore most of the ligament, but not enough to show any external signs such as a limp. The last time we hunted the remainder of the ligament tore. The vet said that once a ligament starts to go that there is no saving it. Still doesn't help my feeling guilty about this since it let go while hunting.

Ruby had her Tightrope CCL on Monday. It seems the biggest challenge so far was the 240 mile trip from Sioux Falls, SD to Rochester, Mn. We traveled in zero degree temps and 35/40 mph winds that created near blizzard conditons. Thankfully, the roads held up and it only took an additional hour of driving time to reach our destination.

The surgery went very well. The CCL ligament was torn, but there was no cartilage or meniscus damage in the knee. Also, no arthritis in the joint yet. The vet said that if the rehab goes well, the knee should recover to full function with very little arthritis.

The first two days have gone very well. She is staying quiet and eating & drinking well. We can tell when she's in discomfort because she will start breathing quicker and become restless. The meds do a great job of settling her down again.

We have a walk out basement so I wasn't going to deal with the steps for the next few weeks to use the back yard. The neighbors probably thought I had too much eggnog when I used the snowblower to clear off the front lawn. I use a sling around Ruby's back and a short leash to help support her for going outside. Fortunately, she usually gets her job done pretty quick so we can get back out of cold.

Anyway, so far - so good. Hoping the next 88 days of rehab go as well!

Dewey,

Didn't catch this here in the birdog forum and was wondering how the surgery went. Happy that Ruby is doing well. Looks like the serious rehab could start about the time weather turns for the better this spring. Good luck. Next season will come soon enough and I'm sure Ruby will be ready to go.

DB

I had a beagle that had the TPLO done on him. One thing is rehab SLOW, no running for months! My dog came back stronger than before at the age of 10.
Good Luck and go easy.

The first two weeks went really well. Ruby did not lick or pick at the stitches so she didn't have to get stuck wearing the cone. There was not any fluid buildup around the knee and the swelling is now gone. She is using the leg, but not putting full weight on it which is at the level of the vet's expectations. The stitches came out today and the incision looks really good.

We will still need to keep her activities controlled, but we are now ready to begin some serious rehab. The next step is 5 minute walks on a lease for a two weeks. After that, there are various strength exercises and longer walks. When she does well with that, then my wife :rolleyes: will need to take her for some short runs.

Maybe, I'll have to drum up some extra cash to take Ruby hunting on a preserve this spring since she missed out on the December hunts.

Glad to hear things are going great! Will take time but I'm sure all will turn out ok and she will be ready to go please her owner again. Good luck with the therapy!:10sign:

Back