Rotary Cutter Sizing

Freeborn

Hi Group,

I?m in the market for a Rotary Brush Cutter for maintaining my prairie grass. I own a JD 3520 with 30 HP at the PTO and my land is relatively flat. I don?t plan on mowing any real brush so I am thinking of a medium duty cutter and I was thinking of a 6? unit. I have a total of 50 acres of prairie grass but I only need to mow 1/3 of it at a time during my mid-contract maintenance. I do plan on burning my open areas if possible so actual mowing will be reasonable either if I burn or not. My soil is sandy so my grasses are not as thick as grasses on better soils.

For you experienced prairie grass guys what would recommend for size and brand. Also, any recommendations for getting the best performance from a brush cutter when mowing prairie grass.

Thanks,

FB

Check out the John Deere 25A flail mower. I use it behind my John Deere 3720 and 4720. It works great.

Thanks Bob,

Whats the adventage of a flail mower over a rotary mower. Will the flail mower cut the grass down to the dirt? That would have some advantages as I do plan on interseeding into my existing grasses.

It can cut down pretty close maybe not dirt but pretty darn close you have several settings. I don't remember the other flail mower number that John Deere has but it is a little heavier duty but I have used the 25A on my farms for the last six years and it has worked great. It cuts so well you can mow your house lawn as well. A nice advantage is it doesn't throw rocks.

1/2" to 5inch cutting height on the 25A. There's a couple of them on tractor house right now. I also use a flail mower for my prairie . I have a 15 foot John Deere 27 stalk chopper that I use. It works well with my JD 4000.

Thanks Reddog,

What size cutter would you recommend for my tractor with 30 hp at the PTO? Would I be able to run a 6' or would I be better to run a 5'.

Thanks again.

Can't answer that, as I don't have a clue. Is it possible to mow and bale or is that against the rules of your contract?

The 25A flail mower cuts about a 6' 6" width. According to the John Deere web site the 3520 and the 25A are compatible. The 25A flail mower requires a minimum 30hp tractor. It works great behind my 3720 and of course the 4720 as well. As I said before it doesn't throw rocks and other debri as other mower decks can. Good luck!!

Last edited:
Thanks Bob,

Good advice. I last question. What kind of grass clippings/mulch do you get with a flail mower. Sounds like it will probably do a better job of cutting up the grasses into a fine mulch.

Thanks again Bob.

FB

I have a John Deere 3320 and it works fine with a 6-foot rotary cutter. I can mow 6 foot tall Bluestem and 8-foot tall catails with no problem.

Thanks Greyfox,

That's good news. Do you like how the rotary cutter cuts the grass from a maintaining your prairie grass. I want to make certain I keep thatch to a minimum. The flail mower sounds interesting and may also be a good choice for keeping thatch to a minimum.

FB

Picked up a used JD 25A this weekend. I got it down near Worthington. Farmer operated the unit and I checked all the bearings, pulleys, belts and rollers. Mower cut well with little vibration. Unit came with a full set of replacement knifes.

The unit sat outside for some time so could use some paint but appears solid.

I'm thinking most of my mowing will occur either early spring or late fall so the grasses should be dry.

For the guys who run one of these what kind of speed do you think I'll be able to run this mowor at? Any estmates on how long it will take me to mow and acre of 5' prairie grass? I'm running a 3520 with 30 PTO HP.

Thanks!

Back