Rooster Roundup- Burlington Co.

colorado_bailey

Hi...
I'm new to Colorado, moved here about a year ago. I own a GSP, fully trained.....I'm wondering if it's worth it to do the Rooster Roundup? I booked a hotel, but haven't sent in my money for the hunt, yet.

Can anyone give me some advice? Please feel free to PM me. I'm not trying to start an argument, just asking for friendly yes/no/indifferent opinions.

Thanks!

Welcome, I have hunted the Rooster round-up in the past when my son was younger (thought it would a good place to start the season for him).

Anyhow, as far as the Rooster round-up goes, I guess it all depends upon your expectations and what you are looking for. If you have a good dog, enjoy the camaraderie of the hunt, and don't mind driving alot, exploring new areas, don't really know where else to go or have anywhere else to go, and you don't mind spending your hard earned $$$, well then give a shot.

I believe it is for a very good cause for the community there. They are some good folks, love the breakfast and the support, however you won't necessarily have access to PRIME grounds, cover, feed, etc.

That isn't to say you won't get into some birds, chances are you will, just depends on how much exercise you are willing to put in.

I know alot of guys on here hunt there or have and I am sure they have their own opinions and experience.

Good luck and god bless,
Greg

Thanks Greg! Yes, the proceeds go to a good cause, so I'll most likely give it a try. I also don't mind some exercise and I know my dog will love it.

Appreciate the reply....

BP

I like the idea but have to say I don't participate every year. I like the access to more ground but like Greg stated it can be hit or miss. Habitat can be spotty and like any other public ground it gets hunted pretty hard.

I haven't gone out there for the breakfast but heard it was pretty good. Have heard opening weekend is packed so be ready to either share a field or drive to find open spots.

But as Greg also stated I think it is for a good cause and usually try to participate if I know I am going to be around for the season.

So I was looking at the website for this, and had a question. Is the $150 for the access to the grounds all season or was it just for opening weekend? It says through the close date of pheasant season. I'm thinking about doing it if it's for the whole season.

Back