Roads

Jet

Question for those familiar with Iowa. How are the roads during/after precipitation?

No different than Kansas, if you’ve experienced those. If it’s soupy out, they’re generally a no go.

The locals don’t appreciate them being torn up, either.

In the area of Iowa I hunt, the (human) population is significantly higher than that of western Kansas, so more roads are gravel, than dirt.

Reactions: Jet
Most of the rural roads in NC and NW Iowa are covered with limestone gravel.

I have never seen them become unpassable due to rain.

However, in dry weather, that white limestone dust will coat every surface inside and outside of your vehicle.

The roads is Iowa are much different than Kansas. Precipitation would have have minimal impact on Iowa roads. However in Kansas, a quarter inch can make them undrivable.
We found some dirt roads that I guarantee you would turn to gumbo.

Most are gravel, though, and should be just fine.

I was referring to their dirt roads in my initial post.

Reactions: Jet
Hunted Iowa all of my life. Level B "minimum maintenance roads" are best left un traveled after any precip until either they dry out or freeze. If they're frozen and it is supposed to get 35 or above with sun you better make sure you're on them before that top layer thaws out, they turn into an ice rink.

There 100% are some roads in northern Iowa that can turn into a "no-go zone" when wet out. I made a mistake one time and I'll never forget it. There was a minimum maintenance sign, I drove past it, everything was fine, a little gravel here and there. This was a long road as I recall, maybe a section and a half or a little more. Long story short the gravel slowly gave way to a dirt road that was really an absolute grease track. I turned on 4 wheel and even locked the rear diff. but it didn't do much. I slid to the right and my tires caught on an oh so tiny lip, and I rode that thing for a mile straight and somehow it kept me on the road. I'd turn my front tires 90 degrees and the truck still went straight. My pucker factor was at 11 and I said a prayer when I got out of that mud pit. I've never looked at a dirt road the same way since!

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like the minimum maintenance roads are much like western ks roads when wet. Best to avoid them till it dries out which probably won't take long as dry as everything is.

What everyone else said. Gravel roads are very good. Level B roads are terrible when wet. Be careful driving in on frozen muck if the temps warm up enough or even some sun on them!

Back