Road hunting etiquette. Land owner and Hunter

Ditches and right of ways

I agree with you for sure on the ditches. Its the most hazardous hunting I do with
my dog, so I usually keep it to a minimum and during the last day or two of the trip. The areas that I ditch hunt are as remote as I can find, and remarkably free from junk, and traffic. You'd never ditch hunt here in Wisconsin, even if we had pheasants. You would not believe the beer bottles, broken glass, and trash in the ditches. I'm not sure, but it seems there might be a little more respect for the land out there. As far as shooting in the right of way, the warden cleared that up for me. I think what really upsets land owners more than anything, and rightly so, is shooting near buildings and cattle, and pushing the 660 ft rule. I really try and stay as far away as possible. I helped my brother raise some white face and they could go through a fence like a knife through butter. Geez what a pain it was to get them back in. I've had success in the ditches, but should try and wean myself off of them for the sake of the dog.

Back