Road conditions

Jet

Question for those that live or spend time west of let’s say ks highway 14.
Have the roads dried up enough to get around when they are thawed out? Considering driving out Thursday but I hate not being able to get to half the spots without trying to slog thru the muddy roads to get there.

Guessing things will be starting to dry up some but I ran into multiple roads that weren’t passable on Thursday. Moved south some on Friday and the roads were better but bird numbers dried up as well.

I tore up a road last night getting to place I was gonna sleep. I snuck out this morning under cover of darkness. I hate doing that shit.

I get it, but it’s the better alternative to getting totally stuck! You back in Kansas or still Nebraska?

Roads are horrible. Took me 2 hours to get the mud off my truck christmas eve. I won't go again til it dries out. As a local I hate it when people drive down the roads and tear them up making them impassible. Creates a lot of work for those running the maintainers. You can get down them when it's froze but people put ruts 2 feet deep in the dirt roads that you fall off in. Local kids like to do it in town.

Roads are horrible. Took me 2 hours to get the mud off my truck christmas eve. I won't go again til it dries out. As a local I hate it when people drive down the roads and tear them up making them impassible. Creates a lot of work for those running the maintainers. You can get down them when it's froze but people put ruts 2 feet deep in the dirt roads that you fall off in. Local kids like to do it in town.
I won’t do it out west . Farmers still got to check cows so I stay off of them. Ks roads were trashed were I was hunting, hunters.
The Nebraska road was a mistake , once you start down that road there’s no turning back

Jet we went out last weekend. My son said let’s take the side by sides in case the roads are bad. Best decision ever. We hunted all the ground we had permission for. A landowner stopped us and thanked us for using our sxs and not tearing up the roads. Let us hunt an 80 of his below his feed lot that made the trip. All we had set out to do was shoot one rooster over our 12 year old lab. Ended up getting more. Old dog made 2 great retrieves for my wife and daughter in law to be.
Unfortunately we lost him last night in his sleep.
We put close to 200 miles on the machines to get where we wanted to go bypassing the bad roads and staying on high ground. If we would have used the truck we probably would’ve been told to never come back. Gove and Trego counties.
Probably the worst bird population I have ever seen. My dad’s old honey holes were all gone. But can’t live in the past.

Jet we went out last weekend. My son said let’s take the side by sides in case the roads are bad. Best decision ever. We hunted all the ground we had permission for. A landowner stopped us and thanked us for using our sxs and not tearing up the roads. Let us hunt an 80 of his below his feed lot that made the trip. All we had set out to do was shoot one rooster over our 12 year old lab. Ended up getting more. Old dog made 2 great retrieves for my wife and daughter in law to be.
We put close to 200 miles on the machines to get where we wanted to go bypassing the bad roads and staying on high ground. If we would have used the truck we probably would’ve been told to never come back. Gove and Trego counties.
Probably the worst bird population I have ever seen. My dad’s old honey holes were all gone. But can’t live in the past.
Sorry for your loss. Glad you got to get him out for one last hoorah before he passed.

Sigh........sorry for the loss. 🥺

Greg,
I’m sorry to hear about your pup. It’s great that you were able to get him out one last time to enjoy the hunt and that you had your family with you. I think your dad would be very happy and proud of that.

Greg,
I’m sorry to hear about your pup. It’s great that you were able to get him out one last time to enjoy the hunt and that you had your family with you. I think your dad would be very happy and proud of that.
My wife killed her first ever pheasant where dad killed his last. It got pretty emotional in a hurry and that’s how we decided to end the trip, with great memories.

I am sorry to hear about your dog passing. Getting out one last time, enjoying a successful hunt and passing in your sleep is probably about the best way a dog could go, hell, I think most of us would prefer that for ourselves.

My wife killed her first ever pheasant where dad killed his last. It got pretty emotional in a hurry and that’s how we decided to end the trip, with great memories.
I love that and can definitely understand that being very emotional. Glad you were able to create some lasting memories.

Back