Rio Royal Pheasant copper #5

Mosby

I am going through my gear and equipment and want to buy another case or two of ammo before the fall. I saw some Rio Royal Pheasant 12 and 20 gauge ammo at a local store but I've never used it. I normally hunt with Winchester or Federal but thought I would see if people have hunted with the Rio ammo and what you think of it.

I took my dogs to a local preserve last year to get them some work and the guides lockers were full of this stuff and that got me curious. Price is good compared to a premium shell like the Winchester Super Pheasant but didn't know how they compare in the guns or on birds. There was a day I would have just bought it to try but with the price of shells these days, I thought I would ask for opinions first. Thanks in advance.

Picked up some since the end of the season so can’t help with actual results. I will say the specs on it is pretty much what I look for and have sued Rio shells in the set with no problems so I expect it will be fine.

I am going through my gear and equipment and want to buy another case or two of ammo before the fall. I saw some Rio Royal Pheasant 12 and 20 gauge ammo at a local store but I've never used it. I normally hunt with Winchester or Federal but thought I would see if people have hunted with the Rio ammo and what you think of it.

I took my dogs to a local preserve last year to get them some work and the guides lockers were full of this stuff and that got me curious. Price is good compared to a premium shell like the Winchester Super Pheasant but didn't know how they compare in the guns or on birds. There was a day I would have just bought it to try but with the price of shells these days, I thought I would ask for opinions first. Thanks in advance.
I’ve shot a couple cases of 1 oz 71/2 and they perform well. Powder was a little dirty and had a few swell after shot to where ejectors would not work on my o/u. Nothing to get in a twist over… not my favorite but a solid backup brand.

I’ve shot a couple cases of 1 oz 71/2 and they perform well. Powder was a little dirty and had a few swell after shot to where ejectors would not work on my o/u. Nothing to get in a twist over… not my favorite but a solid backup brand.
I can’t type, bought a couple cases… shot around 75-100 rounds

Great dove loads, actually my preferred shell for dove. I like them because the dove loads are 1 1/16 ounce, at least they used to be. I would think their pheasants load would be as good as any.

I’ve always had good pattern results with copper plated shot out of my guns. I’d give them a try for sure.

I picked up a case of Rio 12 gauge. 3", # 5 today. They had one left on the shelf and I decided to get it. I am hoping to do some patterning with it this summer but I am guessing it will be more than adequate. Thanks for your input.

Ok, Rio 12ga 3" #5 lead shot... What is the payload and listed velocity?

I'm sure they will be adequate for pheasants within range but was wondering about the specifics of the load. I'll be looking forward to your patterning info. Hoping you'll do that at a measured (muzzle to pattern sheet) 40 yards with a Mod. choke to give us some baseline data.

And an FYI, core pellet hardness (pellet antimony) is more important to good patterning (bird killing) than a copper wash (often called plating) on soft pellets. The copper wash may provide some lubricity to the pellets but if the core pellet isn't hard the copper coating provides little to no improved patterning performance.

Yes, the copper coated pellets are pretty and sell better but that is mostly marketing hype!

Good luck!

Ok, Rio 12ga 3" #5 lead shot... What is the payload and listed velocity?

I'm sure they will be adequate for pheasants within range but was wondering about the specifics of the load. I'll be looking forward to your patterning info. Hoping you'll do that at a measured (muzzle to pattern sheet) 40 yards with a Mod. choke to give us some baseline data.

And an FYI, core pellet hardness (pellet antimony) is more important to good patterning (bird killing) than a copper wash (often called plating) on soft pellets. The copper wash may provide some lubricity to the pellets but if the core pellet isn't hard the copper coating provides little to no improved patterning performance.

Yes, the copper coated pellets are pretty and sell better but that is mostly marketing hype!

Good luck!
I bought the 3" 1 3/8 oz #5 @ 1300 fps 12 gauge shells. When I get new shells, I try to focus on two things...how they pattern and do they function reliably in my shotgun. I will be running them through a Benelli Ultra Light fwiw. I will use a modified choke when I do for comparison and I normally use a range finder when I go to the range, so I can confirm yardage. Not an expert but I think its fun to spend a morning at the range and I like having the information. I will report back after I get to the range.

My wife is undergoing chemo therapy right now and just started her 6th of 12 treatments today, so I have to work my hobbies around her schedule and how she is feeling on any given day/week. One of the reasons I am focusing on shells, equipment, duck calls...etc., Something positive to focus on that provides a welcomed distraction.

I bought the 3" 1 3/8 oz #5 @ 1300 fps 12 gauge shells. When I get new shells, I try to focus on two things...how they pattern and do they function reliably in my shotgun. I will be running them through a Benelli Ultra Light fwiw. I will use a modified choke when I do for comparison and I normally use a range finder when I go to the range, so I can confirm yardage. Not an expert but I think its fun to spend a morning at the range and I like having the information. I will report back after I get to the range.

My wife is undergoing chemo therapy right now and just started her 6th of 12 treatments today, so I have to work my hobbies around her schedule and how she is feeling on any given day/week. One of the reasons I am focusing on shells, equipment, duck calls...etc., Something positive to focus on that provides a welcomed distraction.
Good luck with your wife’s recovery!!!

Thanks for your reply and info. I'm sure they will be adequate out to 40 yards with a Mod. choke and looking forward to your patterning findings.

Hoping everything goes well with your wife's recovery!

Thank you for your kind words. My wife is a tough old bird and she is grinding it out. Tests are indicating the chemo is working and not everyone get's that good news so we are thankful.

Looking forward to trying the Rio's. New shell to me and I am looking forward to spending a couple hours at the range when I can get out. I need to figure out what 20 gauge I'm going to use this year too but I want to shoot the 12 gauge and go from there.

Prayers for your wife & your family. My mother was in her late 70’s & had liver, kidney, & breast cancer at the same time. She ended up having to have one kidney removed, but she only lived to be 104!

Great dove loads, actually my preferred shell for dove. I like them because the dove loads are 1 1/16 ounce, at least they used to be. I would think their pheasants load would be as good as any.
I know that it has more to do with my follow through, lead, etc. but, I couldn’t hit a dove to save my life. Until I put Rio ammo in my gun. Now I swear by it for dove hunting.

I'll be taking a look at the copper as well.I like the load you're using.
Blessings to your wife, you and your family. family; now added to my Prayers!

I know that it has more to do with my follow through, lead, etc. but, I couldn’t hit a dove to save my life. Until I put Rio ammo in my gun. Now I swear by it for dove hunting.
Actually, they probably just pattern very well through your gun. Different loads do different things with different guns.

Last edited:
Actually, the probably just pattern very well through your gun. Different loads do different things with different guns.
That was a Rem 11-87 20g. Now I shoot them through a Franchi Affinity 3. Same results. I do believe some ammo is of better quality. Before I started idiom Rio it was the Wally World 100pk. Still think it was more to do with poor technique but I won’t buy that 100pk again.

Back