Retrieve Question.

bobeyerite

The other day Len and I were hunting pheasant and quail. We went up this draw and a covey of quail flush out from Lens dog Val. Tony is working Lens side of the bush but he is after something different. He goes on point near Len on the next big bush. Len goes to him and tells him."find the bird". Tony takes off up the draw/ditch. That command is his "relocate" "show us exactly where" "go hunting" type command. I cannot see any of this for the bush and a hill block my view. I hear one shot. From Len that means bird down. 2 shots 50-50 chance. A few minutes later, here comes Tony around the bottom of the hill, with a pheasant in his mouth. The pheasant is alive has its' head up and seems to be just enjoying the ride. Tony grips a pheasant from the side, between the breast and the legs in the small of back area. Now for the odd part. Before he crosses a deep ditch, to get to me. He sets the bird down. The bird just sits there with its' head up. Tony then gives the head of the bird some good licks. Then picks up the bird and comes to me. I kneel on 1 knee and hold out my hand. "drop". He drops the bird in my hand. The bird is still very much alive and don't like me at all. I take care of it and put it in my vest game bag.

Why did Tony lick the birds head? I have never seen a wild bird so calm while being carried by a dog. The reason Tony brought the bird to me is. I'm "Alpha Dog", and I get everything from and do everything for him. He has hunted with Len enough that he will obey when a bird is involved. Once it is shot it is mine. Val, Lens Brit and Tony's sister, does not retrieve so Tony does it all. Any ideas on this story........Bob

Last edited:
Knowing he would soon be detached from his new friend...one more goodbye kiss and the romance was over...:D

Actually, Heck if I know. I have seen Taz set birds down and nudge thme in a position to get a better grip but not lick a bird. Pretty cool though!

Back