retrieve and mark?

ctybrddg

My pup will retrieve fine but if another bird is shot she runs after the other bird without bringing the other in. She doesn't drop the one in her mouth. She takes it with her and can't figure out how to bring two back. She just stands over them till I come to her. I probably shouldn't come to her:eek:. Is there a way to teach her to retrieve and mark the other?

I don't have all your answers, but I can tell you that you need to stop going to the dog if you have any expectation of her bringing birds back to you. On occasions where my dog hesitates about coming all of they way back, I actually do the opposite of you - I start backing up, getting further away, and encourage her to bring it to me. Of course she doesn't want to be left behind, so it solves the problem quickly and she gets positive reinforcement from me once she completes the retrieve.

I went to her because she did not respond to her recall.I tried backing away, I even turned my back. I had to make a quick decision. She normally comes in. She does not hesitate with one bird. I took her out today with canvas dummies I threw one. On her way back I threw another past her she didn't do the same thing as in the field. She stopped and watched the other dummie go by and retrieve to hand. I don't think she marked it though. Cause when I gave her "go get'm"(retrieve command) it took a while for her to find it. The only thing I can figure is she has gotten used to dummies and is not as wild about them.

I went to her because she did not respond to her recall.I tried backing away, I even turned my back. I had to make a quick decision. She normally comes in. She does not hesitate with one bird. I took her out today with canvas dummies I threw one. On her way back I threw another past her she didn't do the same thing as in the field. She stopped and watched the other dummie go by and retrieve to hand. I don't think she marked it though. Cause when I gave her "go get'm"(retrieve command) it took a while for her to find it. The only thing I can figure is she has gotten used to dummies and is not as wild about them.

Not knowing what you did in the beginning of her training it would be hard diagnose the problem. but I would go back to throwing singles about 20 yards out for a couple of days "3" 10 minutes sessions a day, then throw doubles at the same distance used a check chord to make her bring the first dummy back to you then release her on the second dummy continue to do this until she gets the idea on whats going on. As she progresses throw the dummies out further this will give her confidence on retrieving the second dummy and remember one thing HAVE PATIENCE hope this helps.

Back