Retirement gift for me!

Bigperk66

I'm about to retire from the Air Force, and am thinking about a new O/U or S/S as a retirement gift for myself (no, I'm not a narcissist).

I've been looking into a sporting gun, that I could use in the field as well, and I don't have high end money (Perrazi/Kreigoff). I started going down the path of a high end Yildiz or Huglu, but after some research, realize they are not available here in the US. When I say high end, I mean grade 4 or 5 walnut, just to be clear.

Easy answer is just spend the money and buy either a Citori or a Berretta. I'm wanting something that when handed down to one of my son's, their reaction is "wow". Not collector grade, but a field gun that shoots and looks the part.

I do appreciate everyone's time, and look forward to your responses. For a little clarity, I have shot trap and skeet in the past, but once retired would like to start shooting some sporting clays.

I do....and you pay for them, which I'm not opposed to. They can get pricey. Thanks so much for your response. I look on here and do see some nice guns for sale as well. I'm looking to stay around the $3K range. I may be asking for too much??

First off, congratulations on retirement and thank you for your service!

In regards to your stated budget, I don't think you can go wrong with a Browning. I have a few different models, some that I like and some that I love. For sporting clays, I prefer my 525 Sporting and would recommend this model to someone else.
Several years ago, I thought I was going to start shooting more trap, including doubles (and didn't), so I purchased a Browning Cynergy Unsingle Combo set with the laminate stock. It is a sharp looking gun and unique, but not walnut. I just don't shoot much trap anymore and have so many trap guns that I have contemplating selling it. The double barrel set has never even been shot that I can remember. It may not be what your looking for, but if you want to research and get back to me with questions, I will be happy to answer them for you. This gun comes with the factory original hard case that holds both barrel sets and the gun is in 98% condition or higher. I will be very firm at $3500. I would not recommend this gun for sporting clays because it is really designed for trap.

My hunting buddy is retiring in December so decided to buy matching 16’s for pheasant hunting. Just used his retirement as an excuse to buy a new gun. We went with Rizzini Aurum’s. Upgrade from their standard base model but not stupid costly. Lots of good options out there in your range especially if you put another 600-800 on it. Good luck in your search and congrats on the retirement.

First off, congratulations on retirement and thank you for your service!

In regards to your stated budget, I don't think you can go wrong with a Browning. I have a few different models, some that I like and some that I love. For sporting clays, I prefer my 525 Sporting and would recommend this model to someone else.
Several years ago, I thought I was going to start shooting more trap, including doubles (and didn't), so I purchased a Browning Cynergy Unsingle Combo set with the laminate stock. It is a sharp looking gun and unique, but not walnut. I just don't shoot much trap anymore and have so many trap guns that I have contemplating selling it. The double barrel set has never even been shot that I can remember. It may not be what your looking for, but if you want to research and get back to me with questions, I will be happy to answer them for you. This gun comes with the factory original hard case that holds both barrel sets and the gun is in 98% condition or higher. I will be very firm at $3500. I would not recommend this gun for sporting clays because it is really designed for trap.
Thanks for the offer. I'll consider it. Sounds like a gem.

I'm about to retire from the Air Force, and am thinking about a new O/U or S/S as a retirement gift for myself (no, I'm not a narcissist).

I've been looking into a sporting gun, that I could use in the field as well, and I don't have high end money (Perrazi/Kreigoff). I started going down the path of a high end Yildiz or Huglu, but after some research, realize they are not available here in the US. When I say high end, I mean grade 4 or 5 walnut, just to be clear.

Easy answer is just spend the money and buy either a Citori or a Berretta. I'm wanting something that when handed down to one of my son's, their reaction is "wow". Not collector grade, but a field gun that shoots and looks the part.

I do appreciate everyone's time, and look forward to your responses. For a little clarity, I have shot trap and skeet in the past, but once retired would like to start shooting some sporting clays.
Browning Gran Lightning
I have one in 16 ga nice wood
I think they are around $3k
Not sure why I have it as it never gets used
Use my white lightning 16 great gun

Back