Restoration of PA pheasants is it possible? How to help?

Comanche crow

Growing up I can remember all of the stories my Grandfather would tell of running his English setters and the places he hunted his beloved pheasants. Being born in 1985 I really never witnessed any of it. To think that in Pennsylvania a million Pheasants were harvested a year! I can’t hardly imagine it. Our state actually rivaled The great South Dakota in birds, thats mind blowing. I would give anything to actually see it for even a day. I guess the only question in all this story is simply one thing.. can it be restored? Is it even possible? What efforts can a individual do? I would love to get involved in some way. Where would someone get started? I doubt my contributions would make any difference but id love to volunteer time and effort. Is just joing a local PF chapter even worth it? It seems like something worth being passionate about. Certainly some on here feel the same way. What are your thoughts?

I remember gas at $.21 a gallon. Dodo bird and passenger pigeon are gone and not coming back. Rural is not so rural anymore. Sorry:confused::(:(
You have to go where the birds are, not migrating to PA. My condolences. What was the population of PA in 1950??

This is a valid point. PA population in 1965 height of pheasant hunting around 11 and a half million. Today around 13 million. Play devils advocate we do have two major metropolitan areas in PA also. We also have a terrible sprawl issue. I don’t disagree with anything you said. Mid Atlantic corridor is a toilet it’s no doubt. BUT! It’s still a lot of farm land in parts of PA. To say it’s not is simply not completely true.

It is not just PA, many factors are involved including the urbanization of rural land. Small family farms have almost disappeared in my area. Hard to find cows outside anymore. Clean farming is the norm and owned by corporations or investment groups. What used to be on the edge of town is now in town. Some species have adapted like geese, turkeys and coyotes. Pheasants, grouse and quail do better in wild places, away from people and their pets.

There are still places that are still rural that support wildlife given favorable weather patterns. Unless you live in a rural area, you must travel a bit and invest in your “mental health”. I used to hunt ruffed grouse only 4 miles out of town. Not now. As buildings get taller people lose common sense. I grew up on the “crik” not creek. Thank God I’m a country boy. I don’t mean to throw out negative vibes, but a new order has arrived. Money talks and more money shouts.
Go west young man. There are “good old days” out there, just harder to find. The lodges have learned to offer more than shooting pheasants. Must be what some folks want. Excuse my rambling from a country boy. God bless

Back