Reservation luck

garyt

I was doing some early season pheasant hunting around Hardin this year and wondered if anybody had any luck hunting the res. This might be terrible of me, but I guess I'm a little nervous from some of the horror stories out there about hunting it. Seems expensive and risky, but I have seen a lot of birds down there. Has anybody had a pretty rough experience or is it all flowers and ice cream like it looks like? Tons of birds running around, makes me sick not getting out and chasing em!

The hunting is good, but if you have dogs be aware of snares. My pup was caught in one last year, thankfully she was not far away and did not pull once in it; she waited for me to get her out. This year I found another snare. So I'm on high alert and carry a cable cutter when I go to the Res

That is scary. I do have a pup so that may be something that I would be pretty nervous about. I appreciate you letting me know. Is it hard to get a permit?

I have hunting buddy that handled the permits, he gets them through a guide I think. I think it was $135 for a 5 day permit. We were shooting mostly old birds, and it's been that way all across Montana where I've hunted, maybe 20% of the pheasants were young birds

That is scary. I do have a pup so that may be something that I would be pretty nervous about. I appreciate you letting me know. Is it hard to get a permit?
Some tribes only alow bird hunting 1 month out of the year.Some require a tribal member to be with you.

Back