Report from annual Kansas hunting trip

retrvrman

Well, my son and I got back Monday afternoon from our annual KS pheasant hunting trip and it was a success. I got skunked (first time ever) on Friday, however I made up for it on Saturday and Sunday with three roosters each day. I could have easily had my limit. My son got a bird on Sat and two on Sunday.

The best thing yet was my 17month yellow pointing lab, Remi, pointed his first wild pheasant (it was a hen :eek:) however it locked up and was rock solid. I invited Stal67 from the forum to come out and join us. He was there to witness Remi on point. I wish I had my phone out, however I was moving in to flush the bird and didn't have it ready to take a pic.

Then on Sunday when some folks from our group were leaving to head home, a rooster was crippled by my good friends father in law in a stripped milo field (thick with weeds). We had Remi and another lab. We looked and looked, I told Remi "Find it, find the bird". That boy, for 17mos old, did something I had never seen from a young dog like himself being on his first wild pheasant hunt. He used the wind, ran up and down the rows working into the wind, with is nose stuck to the ground trying to find the rooster.

I just sat and watched him work and kept encouraging him. I knew he would find the bird, I just knew. And sure as s*$! he did. That rooster was buried under some tumbleweeds (which some of them were as big as an ATV nearly :eek:)

I was liked the proudest dad. Like one my kids had graduated high school or something. It was freaking awesome.

Now I didn't get the classic, point then I flush and getting to shoot the rooster and then Remi retrieve it. That didn't happen, it will, but just not on this trip.

However, Remi got a chance to retrieve his share of birds. It is tough going from hunting with flushing labs to a pointing lab.

I also learned that I will be getting an over/under. I love it because it swings up so much quicker than my Benelli nova pump. Need to maybe look at an autoloader.

Thanks Mike (aka Stal67) for coming along. It was good to meet you and funny that you are from Michigan. Can't wait until next year, unless we get a chance to go out again in January.

Kansas isn't that bad, it is better than Colorado. We hunted all private land, and more private land than I have ever had the chance to hunted in Colorado.

The public stuff in KS is better than the private in Colorado:eek:

Greg

:thumbsup:

Good stuff! ...and I def know what you mean about being that darn proud!!!

Until I figure out why I can't post pics either through the website or photobucket, I will not be able to post any pics.

Greg

Ohh...sorry...no pics? ...it never happened!!

:thumbsup:

Good deal Greg. Glad you guys had a good time and got on some birds. I also went to KS for the first time this past weekend. Hunted all public land. 3 of us got 7 roosters over 2.5 days. Scored my first wild rooster so I would have to say the trip was well worth the drive.

guns

Well, my son and I got back Monday afternoon from our annual KS pheasant hunting trip and it was a success. I got skunked (first time ever) on Friday, however I made up for it on Saturday and Sunday with three roosters each day. I could have easily had my limit. My son got a bird on Sat and two on Sunday.

The best thing yet was my 17month yellow pointing lab, Remi, pointed his first wild pheasant (it was a hen :eek:) however it locked up and was rock solid. I invited Stal67 from the forum to come out and join us. He was there to witness Remi on point. I wish I had my phone out, however I was moving in to flush the bird and didn't have it ready to take a pic.

Then on Sunday when some folks from our group were leaving to head home, a rooster was crippled by my good friends father in law in a stripped milo field (thick with weeds). We had Remi and another lab. We looked and looked, I told Remi "Find it, find the bird". That boy, for 17mos old, did something I had never seen from a young dog like himself being on his first wild pheasant hunt. He used the wind, ran up and down the rows working into the wind, with is nose stuck to the ground trying to find the rooster.

I just sat and watched him work and kept encouraging him. I knew he would find the bird, I just knew. And sure as s*$! he did. That rooster was buried under some tumbleweeds (which some of them were as big as an ATV nearly :eek:)

I was liked the proudest dad. Like one my kids had graduated high school or something. It was freaking awesome.

Now I didn't get the classic, point then I flush and getting to shoot the rooster and then Remi retrieve it. That didn't happen, it will, but just not on this trip.

However, Remi got a chance to retrieve his share of birds. It is tough going from hunting with flushing labs to a pointing lab.

I also learned that I will be getting an over/under. I love it because it swings up so much quicker than my Benelli nova pump. Need to maybe look at an autoloader.

Thanks Mike (aka Stal67) for coming along. It was good to meet you and funny that you are from Michigan. Can't wait until next year, unless we get a chance to go out again in January.

Kansas isn't that bad, it is better than Colorado. We hunted all private land, and more private land than I have ever had the chance to hunted in Colorado.

The public stuff in KS is better than the private in Colorado:eek:

Greg

an auto loader will swing, handle and point the same as your nova, you will find if you want a change go with the o/u or smarten up and get a double

cheers

It was a great trip saw lots of birds and was fun watching the dogs work.

20131123_172858.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I have several over unders as well as a couple of doubles, I hunted with my auto loader on this trip and it was the perfect gun for this hunt. There where multiple birds flushed in most cases and to only have 2 shots would have caused me to miss out on some birds. I am pretty confident that I can pull off my first triple ever pheasant hunting out there. I have pulled off doubles a few times and that was here in Colorado, this trip was the first time that I have ever seen more than 2 roosters flush at the same time ( that where in range ) pretty awesome!

an auto loader will swing, handle and point the same as your nova, you will find if you want a change go with the o/u or smarten up and get a double

cheers

birds

I have several over unders as well as a couple of doubles, I hunted with my auto loader on this trip and it was the perfect gun for this hunt. There where multiple birds flushed in most cases and to only have 2 shots would have caused me to miss out on some birds. I am pretty confident that I can pull off my first triple ever pheasant hunting out there. I have pulled off doubles a few times and that was here in Colorado, this trip was the first time that I have ever seen more than 2 roosters flush at the same time ( that where in range ) pretty awesome!

sounds pretty neat to me, ya shoulda stopped by. bottling wine today

cheers

Sounds like a terrific hunt! There's nothing more fulfilling than watching your pup point his first wild bird. I shot my GSP pup's first rooster for him in Nebraska a few weeks ago. You're never sure it's going to happen until he does it. When you shoot the first rooster he points, you'll want to put your gun away and call it a day because it can't get any better. Getting your pointing lab to point a wild pheasant is also a terrific accomplishment. Believe me, there are plenty of pointing labs that look like a million bucks on pen-raised birds at APLA tests but turn into flushers on wild pheasants. Something about the running birds. I've also got a pointing lab. What's your pup's breeding?

Greg,
Glad you had a great trip..... Wish things were better for our younger hunters but sometimes tough conditions makes us better hunters.

Matt

Sounds like a terrific hunt! There's nothing more fulfilling than watching your pup point his first wild bird. I shot my GSP pup's first rooster for him in Nebraska a few weeks ago. You're never sure it's going to happen until he does it. When you shoot the first rooster he points, you'll want to put your gun away and call it a day because it can't get any better. Getting your pointing lab to point a wild pheasant is also a terrific accomplishment. Believe me, there are plenty of pointing labs that look like a million bucks on pen-raised birds at APLA tests but turn into flushers on wild pheasants. Something about the running birds. I've also got a pointing lab. What's your pup's breeding?

He is out Martin Baca's female Quinn MPR HR Highpoint's Mellow Yellow Quinn
and his dad is Black Ice super sonic Scooter GMPR, QAA, and MH.

I didn't get the classic point that I wanted with a rooster, however that will come.

Greg

It was a great trip saw lots of birds and was fun watching the dogs work.

20131123_172858.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Glad to have you out Mike :coolpics::thumbsup:

Also glad we got to go to the Bad Habit and kick a few back :cheers:

Here is to next season:thumbsup:

Greg

Back