Reloading info

Wingmaster23

Gents,

I have a MEC 9000 progressive reloader I bought from a friend of mine a few months back. I want to load my own shells this year, but, haven't the slightest idea on how to go about doing it.

I know I want to shoot 1 3/8 oz. of #5 shot from a 2 3/4 hull. I will need a new charge bar for that and I got that part figured out. Now, as far as bushings and powder go (or anything else for that matter), does anyone out there have any knowledge they would like to share? Even a good book recommendation on Shotshell Reloading for a "rookie" reloader like myself would be a great help too. Thanks in advance

First thing I would call MEC at 800-797-4632 and get an owners manual for the machine. They have an excellent tech service dept. and will answer any and all questions about their products.

I would order a Lyman Shotshell manual, or pick one up at a local gun retail sales store and read everything in the front info. section of the book until I was familiar with all terms and processes of the shotshell reloading regimen.

Figure out what you want to load, ask all the questions you can from anyone who has done this before(like most of us started) and have fun.

There are several good websites that will help.....www.shotgunworld.com is a good place to start.

Bob

One rule that you should keep hard and fast too. "Always follow the Recipe exactly, no substitutions." ......Bob

Bob is right

Shotgun shells show no pressure signs like a rifle or pistol cartridge does. When it fails most of the time it is not good. Stick to your loading data

I'm old school. I like Win. AA hulls, Win. or Remington wads. Hercules powders.

I have read on some of the waterfowl sites where guys trying to load steel shot to 1800fps or higher and wrecking the choke tubes in 2-3 rounds. IMO, they are swedging the tube, as the shot can not get inline to squeeze through the chokes constriction. IMO, this kind of antics is a accident waiting to happen. Yet some of these guys continue to load and try to shoot these shells.

In the good old days of waterfowling. We loaded Hercules Green Dot, used the Win. Red Wad and 13/8oz of shot in a AA hull. We use to snocker them with that combo.

Chuck

Back