Reloading gurus: advice wanted

Daisybuck

I am looking at shotshell reloaders and don't want to spend a ton. I see some products froma company called Lee ``Load All II'' on Ebay for what seems a price that is too good to be true, which makes me nervous. I used to have a Pacific that got the mast bent and never cycled true thereafter.

Ideas? Suggestions? Looking for one that will handle high-brass because that's where I think I'll be saving the most.

I have not reloaded for a long time, However I have reloaded with a lee load all in the past. It works, you will need to pay close attention to the powder charge. It is posible to get a heavy powder charge with the lee.

That said, There are much better reloader out there. I'm shure there are Members here that Have more information on this subject then I do.

Any MEC that fits both your budget and the volume of shells that need boxed....."high" brass is never an issue when reloading.

How is the MEC to use? A used MEC Jr. of some type looks a little small but it is within (barely) my price range. Also, any ideas about what to look out for for wearing out parts on used stuff?

All reloaders are simple and easy to use as everything has a learning curve for us all...the models which turn out a shell with each handle pull are my choice....depends upon what level of reloader you need.
The lowest MEC model will turn out a fine shell...I do prefer the brass resizing feature tho.

Some reloaders are easier to clean when one spills shot or powder, to me.
For me, MEC is easy to use, easy to adjust, easy to clean and turns out a good shell.
Parts are readily available from MEC and, imo, reasonable in price.
But, most others do fine...some makes, like PW, have a bit of panache:)...but, add refinements, features, hydraulics and complexity, et al follows.

What wears out?
There are some rubber grommets in the bar that can wear, shot side especially...same with the little brass washer.
Anything that moves will wear....but it can pretty much all be made new again.
Hard to say about buying used tho...w/o seeing it, trust is involved.
Look on a MEC dealer site at the prices for repair/replacement parts to get an idea....call MEC if you have a question.
MECs should be painted grey rather than red.....gray being the color of a battleship.
There is a point where a bit more in $$$s spent is well worth it in the long run.

Good luck.
Buy a reloading manual!

Thanks Dublin. I figured the MEC was the way to go but those Lees were so cheap they appealed to my cheapskate side. Better to save a little money up than buy cheap and have to buy better later.

I used to have a lot of fun cranking those shells out in the basement before my last reloader died in a moving accident. I think I still have a manual somewhere... Looking forward to this new project.

Thanks for the advice. :thumbsup:

Depends on how much reloading you want to do. I've used Lee Load alls and they will produce shells, but they are not a good answer. They lack the adjustments and the resizing is not what it could be. I thought I would only load a few 16 ga shells so I went for the cheap Load-All. I used mine for a while and actually gave it away. I don't know what your "too good to be true" price is, but last time I checked, you could get a brand new one from Cabela's for $39.00.
I've reloaded for years and have nothing but MEC's in every gauge from 12 to .410. You pretty much can't break or wear on out. They have much better adjustments and for a long term solution they are a much better answer than the Load-All.

I loaded 1000's of shells as a teenage on a Lee Load All that cost 29.99 new. Never had a problem. I have used MEC on that a friend gave me, when the free primers are gone it is going on Ebay. I just can't save enough money to spend my time at the bench. :(

I loaded 1000's of shells as a teenage on a Lee Load All that cost 29.99 new. Never had a problem. I have used MEC on that a friend gave me, when the free primers are gone it is going on Ebay. I just can't save enough money to spend my time at the bench. :(

If saving money is the only thing you want then I agree---but I just enjoy the process of loading my own--a good reloading session is just relaxing --I do enjoy it so--each to his own:thumbsup:

I am looking at shotshell reloaders and don't want to spend a ton. I see some products froma company called Lee ``Load All II'' on Ebay for what seems a price that is too good to be true, which makes me nervous. I used to have a Pacific that got the mast bent and never cycled true thereafter.

Ideas? Suggestions? Looking for one that will handle high-brass because that's where I think I'll be saving the most.

check out the "wolfs den" in hugo, great guys to deal with and good prices too. they have some used loaders, and component prices are as good as anybody in the twin cities area. i am not affiliated with them, just live down the road a bit, and have always had great service there. monday through friday is better than saturdays. just my .02

Funny you would mention Wolf's Den. I just priced them there on Wednesday and yep, they have a good used one for $90. Thinking I may have to stop back in next week. Thanks for the info gentlemen. :thumbsup:

Back