Reload recommendations

gps4

I got a Lee load all 2 and reloading components for Christmas this year.

I have
  1. several hundred once fired federal 20 ga hulls and twice as many 12ga fiocchi hulls and even more Winchester 12ga hulls
IMG_9284.jpeg
  1. 25# of no. 4 lead shot
  2. 25# of no. 5 lead shot
  3. 200 fed209a primers
  4. 2,000 Cheddite 209 primers
  5. 3# longshot powder
  6. 1# hs-6 powder
  7. 1# tight wad powder
  8. 500 clay buster waa20 7/8oz wads
  9. 500 claybuster CB6118-12 1 oz wads
I hunt with both 20ga and 12ga guns.

I’d like to work up some reloads for a hunt in late January and for next season.

Would anyone like to recommend any specific lid recipes using these
Components?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry, but I only loaded 20ga AA hulls, AA primers and AA yellow wads and HS-6 powder pushing a 1 oz load. Very deadly combination
Be safe and follow known recipes. Bushing 339 in a Pacific 366 reloader. Still have some reloads in #6 shot in copper and nickel. Hope this helps at least a bit.

Reloading data is so easy to get these days. Those powders are all included in Hodgdon's data, linked by Chestle. You will encounter a couple of challenges though:
  • Last I checked, there was only a little data out there on Cheddite primers, at least on Hodgdon's site.
  • I don't think you'll find much data on those hulls either.

I run AA hulls and Remington STS/Gun Club hulls. They've usually worked pretty well for me.

Curious about 1 oz 20 ga loads in the AA and HS hulls. I loaded a few in Fed game and Top Gun hulls using CB AA clone wads with the powder seal cup flaired to help seal off the straight wall case. Cheesy had a couple bloopers using them so I'm planning on using the Winchesters now. I've not found but a couple loads over 1200 fps in any of my references. I have Longshot, Blue Dot and 800x along with Cheddite and Win209 primers.

The one component that became obsolete was the 20ga. AA Yellow wad, not the AA White wad. The recipe I listed above was the best I have shot.

Curious about 1 oz 20 ga loads in the AA and HS hulls. I loaded a few in Fed game and Top Gun hulls using CB AA clone wads with the powder seal cup flaired to help seal off the straight wall case. Cheesy had a couple bloopers using them so I'm planning on using the Winchesters now. I've not found but a couple loads over 1200 fps in any of my references. I have Longshot, Blue Dot and 800x along with Cheddite and Win209 primers.
1 oz in a 20 gauge has always been a challenge. The last time I needed wads for a load like this the only one I could find was remington and that wasn't easy. Longshot powder is about the best choice. As you noted, you're not going to get much over 1200 fps regardless and Longshot keeps the pressures a little lower.

I don't mess with straight wall cases anymore.

Shot shells are a bit more sensitive that metallic cartridges. I think you know this as you listed the specifics of your components. I have a couple shot shell reloading manuals and several of the free paper powder company reloading manuals(maybe the free paper ones have been replaced with online data). Find as many reloading sources as possible, including the wad manufacturer and look for recipes with your compontents, but also look for Win AA hulls. Lot more options I will guess than the hulls you have. The 20 gauge Feds might be fine. I use Win AA hulls, they can often be found at gun shows for $5/100 once fired, same with wads, and shot. I usually only have to pay retail prices for Long(Loud) shot powder. I have a couple thousand primers bought cheap most of a decade ago, so those are covered for now. I find a sense of satisfaction reloading my own shells for a fraction of the cost of buying them loaded. You will still need to test and pattern a few once you find a load. I would look at 1.25 oz loads at 1200 to 1450 fps..12 gauge. Good luck.

Yes, also agree with Longshot being dirty and loud. It makes sure you clean your auto loader at least every boxfull.

I got a Lee load all 2 and reloading components for Christmas this year.

I have
  1. several hundred once fired federal 20 ga hulls and twice as many 12ga fiocchi hulls and even more Winchester 12ga hulls
View attachment 7112
  1. 25# of no. 4 lead shot
  2. 25# of no. 5 lead shot
  3. 200 fed209a primers
  4. 2,000 Cheddite 209 primers
  5. 3# longshot powder
  6. 1# hs-6 powder
  7. 1# tight wad powder
  8. 500 clay buster waa20 7/8oz wads
  9. 500 claybuster CB6118-12 1 oz wads
I hunt with both 20ga and 12ga guns.

I’d like to work up some reloads for a hunt in late January and for next season.

Would anyone like to recommend any specific lid recipes using these
Components?

Thanks in advance.
GPS. If u want to talk to reloading experts. Find 16 ga. Reloaders on Yahoo.. They are the experts on most guages.

Back