Reeds Canary Grass to Switchgrass Project

cyclonenation10

I've posted on here before looking for some input on trying to rid a few areas of canary grass (mostly lower laying non-crp ground or old pasture).

What I gathered is that it would be a significant challenge, but I figured we'd give it a try. Burned about 1 1/2 months ago and then started a month ago with an application of glyphosate and followed it up again yesterday with another. Planning on drilling cave-in-rock switchgrass into the areas in the next week or so.
Fingers crossed we have a little bit of luck, but I am optimistic that even if we are unable to truly rid the area of canary grass, we may atleast be able to add some diversity in the process (there is a pretty significant amount of giant ragweed present in the seed bed, so I am hopeful that at a minimum that stuff will start to establish itself more).

In either case, I forgot to take any pictures, but will keep everyone updated on the progress. I think we had a pretty good winter here for the birds in eastern IA. Seeing and hearing quite a few while out working, fingers crossed we can go without any significant flooding for the next month and a half!

Ended up being later than I would have liked, but ended up doing a third spraying of the RCG and finally got the SG drilled this weekend.

The upshot of it being so dry is that these low lying areas tend to be pretty wet if there's been much rain, so the spraying and drilling was much easier, however I'm worried that without any rain in the 10-day there could be some issues with germination.

Any thoughts on whether the lack of moisture in the forecasts will hurt the establishment of the stand long-term, or maybe just set it back a little bit?

Ended up being later than I would have liked, but ended up doing a third spraying of the RCG and finally got the SG drilled this weekend.

The upshot of it being so dry is that these low lying areas tend to be pretty wet if there's been much rain, so the spraying and drilling was much easier, however I'm worried that without any rain in the 10-day there could be some issues with germination.

Any thoughts on whether the lack of moisture in the forecasts will hurt the establishment of the stand long-term, or maybe just set it back a little bit?
This is late so you might have figured this out already, but switch can lay in the seed bed for years. Similar to clover. You should be fine. It just is nice to get it to germ early so it can have a chance against the weeds.

Here is an early fall update on the project. After about 4 mowings this year (last in eaelt August), the switch is starting to show itself among the weeds.

That's a good-looking grass patch. I learned something last year about warm season grasses. A farmer told me to get in the field as soon as it greens up and spray everything with roundup. He said the warm season grasses won't be up yet and it will give them a big head start. I'm not sure switch is a warm season grass though.

That should hold birds! The fox tail will not stand-up when snow comes, but your switch should continue to fill-in. Some of those seeds will lay dormant for years...just like most other seeds. Look forward to some pics of harvested roosters from your project!

That should hold birds! The fox tail will not stand-up when snow comes, but your switch should continue to fill-in. Some of those seeds will lay dormant for years...just like most other seeds. Look forward to some pics of harvested roosters from your project!
As I was checking it out yesterday there were a few hens flushed from the corn food plot next to it - so it would appear they are starting to use it.

I don't like the idea of creating a monoculture of anything, whether it be switchgrass or what not, but in this case, I do not believe there was anything else that would have a chance to outcompete the RCG in this flood prone area.

Either way, this should hold up much better than RCG over the winters!

That's a good-looking grass patch. I learned something last year about warm season grasses. A farmer told me to get in the field as soon as it greens up and spray everything with roundup. He said the warm season grasses won't be up yet and it will give them a big head start. I'm not sure switch is a warm season grass though.
Switch is a warm season grass, and I have contemplated doing that (but in the fall instead of spring). After a couple good frosts, the warm season grasses should go dormant while the cool season grasses are still growing. Can achieve a better kill in the fall as well compared to Spring.

The part that makes me nervous is the timing.. I may just "test" a small area this Fall in case I happen to be too early and knock out the switch..

Back