Reconditioning Filson chaps?

Rogue Hunter

I need to recondition my Filson chaps. Problem is the tin of Filson wax I have has hardened. I put it in the truck hoping the heat will soften it up...I'm not too enthused about buying a new tin at $10-12. Just wonder if anyone has used other products on their Filson chaps? I have a tub of SnoSeal...not sure whether it would work. I've also got some Obenauf's, but I don't think it's thick enough.

I'll be watching for after season sales for a new pair; this season may be it for the Filson's. Oh, I'll also take recondations on your favorite brand of chaps...upper mid-west, so don't need snake spoof.

Last edited:
Can't help on using other products, but last year I gave mine the full reconditioning, couldn't find any of my Filson wax, but Scheels still sells it. Although not much selection of Filson garments there. It takes some time to do it right, but a couple hours (it seemed), the wax and a heat gun or hair dryer and they will stand-up in a corner by themselves again! Love those double tins for cold weather.

Warm the wax in a water bath. Paint or rub it on and then put the chaps in 2 pillow cases opening opposite directions (so the chaps don't fall out) or a drawstring bag and run them on high in your dryer for about a half hour.

I've used obenauf's heavy duty on my Filson jacket. Hated trying to put the Filson wax on anything. PITA.

Obenauf's will not last as long and it will smell slightly like beeswax but works fine and waterproof's just as well and maybe better because you can actually get it on in a smooth coat. Then hit with hairdryer to set it into the duck.

I have Filson tin chaps that are over 30 year old.
I recondition them using Johnson paste wax...same paste wax I use for my table saw table.

If you want a stiffer wax, you can blend candle wax as seen in this video:

Last edited:
Back