Recommendations For Wild Pheasant and Quail Hunting Lodge

I've been enjoying trips out West for 26 yrs, and 20 with my buddy.
We take a week around Thanksgiving and hunt for 6 days. Always public and staying at Mom and Pop motels. Hunted the usual....SD, ND, NE, MT, Iowa when it was good, and once over 10yrs ago in north central KS. Picked up a couple coveys of quail and a few roosters in 3 days of hard hunting(2-3 hrs each morning and afternoon public ground). Then we headed up to Pierre as we usually split up our trip with 3 days in each of 2 places with the pups (2 shorthairs and a vizsla) getting a rest during the travel day. Birds were supposed to be up, but we attributed it to heavily pressured public ground later in the season.

So, looking to go back this year. Looking to do a lodge this time. Here's what we're looking for: We like to hunt on our own with our dogs. Just lodging is fine or maybe breakfast thrown in. Near a small or medium sized city so we can enjoy some burgers, beers and pool after the hunt. This year, I'm bringing my new GSP pup. He's trying to replace a wonderful shorthair I had that unexpectedly passed away last Fall at 8 yrs old. He's 7 mo old and I've been working him with quail at my hunt club in FL this winter. So would love to get int a couple coveys a day along with chances at our limits of roosters.

Any recommendations for a hunt lodge for a couple of low maintenance hunters from the midwest?

I do not think you are going to find a "lodge" if you expect to have access to restricted private ground. If you are looking for lodging only I would look at the Western motel in Hill City Kansas. Their rooms have kitchens and there are a couple of decent places to eat in town. In the past they have been very hunter and dog friendly. Historically they have been booked for years in advance for the opening week of deer season. I have never been in Kansas for opening week of pheasant season, but I have read here that it can be very crowded. There are also quite a few bed and breakfasts, some of which will accommodate dogs. Finally there is one outfitter who advertises here (Uhunt or something like that), but I think he wants larger groups and longer times. The outfitters are pretty coy about it, but you will mostly be hunting planted birds released a few days or weeks before the hunt.

I do not think you are going to find a "lodge" if you expect to have access to restricted private ground. If you are looking for lodging only I would look at the Western motel in Hill City Kansas. Their rooms have kitchens and there are a couple of decent places to eat in town. In the past they have been very hunter and dog friendly. Historically they have been booked for years in advance for the opening week of deer season. I have never been in Kansas for opening week of pheasant season, but I have read here that it can be very crowded. There are also quite a few bed and breakfasts, some of which will accommodate dogs. Finally there is one outfitter who advertises here (Uhunt or something like that), but I think he wants larger groups and longer times. The outfitters are pretty coy about it, but you will mostly be hunting planted birds released a few days or weeks before the hunt.

avoid opening weekend and Thanksgiving and deer season if you can.

I'm a bit confused...you listed five states that you have previously hunted.

It's not clear where you are "returning." Which state and which season?

Hope we can help you.

Hunted at upland inn last year for 4 days saw tons of roosters and no hens
Limited out everyday by 1:00.Great habitat but pheasants are not wild
As far as I see it.They plant birds when they are 4 to 8 weeks old and let them grow up on proberty.Fun shooting but not wild like they advertise
Pheasants acted better than game farm birds

I'm a bit confused...you listed five states that you have previously hunted.

It's not clear where you are "returning." Which state and which season?

Hope we can help you.
I'd like to return to Kansas for another hunt as I'd like to get into some quail (in addition to pheasant) with my pup. It was many years ago when I was there and was a bit disappointed in the public ground hunting. So I'm looking to hunt private ground for wild birds from a lodge or motel base. But not looking for a guided hunt as my buddy and I always hunt on our own. Obviously we'll be paying for the private ground access, but more than willing to do that for some decent wild bird hunting.
Does such a place exist in Kansas?

There's guys out there, but finding them is another thing. I know guys will take people out for a generous tip. If I were trying I would try to find a college kid. Maybe put an ad in the fort hays newspaper or on a message board or however they have that set up. Maybe Nw or Sw kansas craigslist. A kid with some family access. Is illegal to guide on a walk on, but a hard hunting local kid knows every inch and might. point you to the spot.

Back