Recent Storms and Flooding

Hockeybob

Talked to the farmer this am where we hunt near Ipswich / Cresbard. Said the recent storms and rain have the fields flooded. Won't be able to get the crops in the ground for weeks and he feels many pheasant nests were lost. He painted a pretty dismal picture for our area. Anyone else hearing bad reports

Bob

We have had a lot of rain here as well. Actually, more storms scheduled for today. The ground has been pretty damp, but from everything I've seen, the pheasants look pretty good. I have actually seen more up north out eating and fighting than the last two years, which gives me some hope. Hopefully there is some relief down here though, because the ground is soaked. Some farmers are still trying to get crops in the fields.

I checked the monthly totals for Charles Mix County SD and average is 3.70 inches and to date they are at 1.10 inches for the month so we are looking at warm and dry going into the peak hatch time.

I did hear that it was wetter up north like it was last year. I will be driving through that area and the Miller area looking at a new pheasant camp and can give an update next week.

Went on www.weather.com for Ipswich, SD here is the precipitation that the area has received.

Average Actual
April 1.91 3.15
May 2.70 3.80 (still 6 days left in May)

The area is +2.34 for the 2 months. We don't need anymore rain!

Back