Received rain and.....

remy3424

It has been extremely dry in our immediate area, yesterday a few clouds came through. I received less than a tenth at my home, but our 7 miles away, our CRP recieved an inch and a half, but also a big shot of hail. Many crop fields are done, our crp was in some of the heavier hail it seemed. I did see a group of pheasants a mile away where a good shot of hail was receveived, the had to have rode it out in the road ditch, the little ones were robin sized. The strangest thing was this erry foggy that developed in the areas with a lot of hail on the ground immediately after the storm blew through.

20210622_193759.jpg20210622_193751.jpg20210622_193801.jpg

There didn't seem to be the flattening wind where I was, but I saw pics of a corn field that was either flattened by wind or the hail just pulverized the plants to nothing. When I get back from our SD trip, will have to decide if we need to try to replant our food plots or not...is it too late for grain soughum to produce a crop??? Guessing the timing of frost might be what will limit it.

There didn't seem to be the flattening wind where I was, but I saw pics of a corn field that was either flattened by wind or the hail just pulverized the plants to nothing. When I get back from our SD trip, will have to decide if we need to try to replant our food plots or not...is it too late for grain soughum to produce a crop??? Guessing the timing of frost might be what will limit it.
I think it would, some of the millets might work also.

Just posting this for information:

It does well on dry ground also, we used to make hay from it.

Is that just pea sized hail? Or was it bigger? Pheasants are tough. Seems like nickel sized hail and smaller here doesn't hurt much. Its the ping pong ball that can do damage and baseball size and larger that demolishes.

Nickel to quarter mostly, I sure there was small stuff too that was gone by the time I was there. We have some pretty thick vegetation, so I think, if they are smart enough, they could have got protected pretty well. Not quite so bad where my garden is, but it got set-back 10 days or so I am guessing.

Depends how long and how much it hailed. We usually don't pay much attention to nickel size hail around here. KInd of the norm unfortunately. If pheasants couldn't survive that size of hail, they would be extinct. Its the stuff that caves in your windshield that we don't like.

Back