Recall Pen Advice

atbrdly

Gents,

I need some advice/help. I built a recall pen to the specs of quality wildlife. I think it is 4X4x6. I used a predator proof funnel also sold by quality wildlife. I got my quail at 8 weeks old and fed them through the funnel. I also caught a few 3 weeks later (11 week old birds now) and fed them through the funnel to make sure it was working properly. I decided after 3 weeks in the pen to release 4 quail out of the total 17. HOWEVER here is where the issues comes in. They recalled the same night and all the next day I found them around the pen. As far as them recalling it looks like it worked. However they will not go in the funnel? they are just sitting outside the pen? What is the issue? how do I get them to go into the pen and use the funnel?

Some things I changed. First, the ramp leading to the funnel was extremely steep and it did not go up to the funnel. (you can see in the pics) I changed the ramp and used a longer board which made it not as steep and also placed this board right up to the funnel entrance. Do you think this has anything to do with them not going in? When building the pen, never once did anyone state that the ramp was the key.....???

Should I rip the predator proof funnel out and put a normal funnel in?

Last edited:
Some quail like to go right back in, some hang out for a couple of days before going back in and others will never go back. I don't know why but the ones that stay out will learn to survive or get eaten. If they survive that will help the other birds that are released.

When you put them in the pen did you put them in through the funnel?

It my help if you put some "windows" in the bottom of the pen. If the outside birds see the birds in the pen they might be more inclined to go through the funnel.

Ok. So I shouldn't be too worried? Should I go ahead and let some more out?

I did feed them in the funnel when I got them. I also caught one the other day and fed it through to make sure the funnel was working.

Last edited:
It helps in my opinion to have a SECURED wire window next to the recall funnel,where birds can see birds, before going in. I also agree that some birds in fair weather will not be motivated to go in. Having a couple of other birds with them gives them the comfort to stay outside. I also put food and water outside to keep them around. I keep my funnel on the ground. I have experimented with multi- funnels, but one good one seems adequate. I do use a partition to allow recall birds initially quarantined, because of predators, leave one active calling male in the quarantined area. I would try to make the predator proof funnels, I would put out more, even if you have a satellite covey "outside" it will be of service, eventually, a bird will figure it out, then all birds will figure it out! My quail are better trained than the dogs. Now trying with huns. I actually got chukars to recall, but they were extremely tame, dim bulbs in the field! Buffet items.

I think you will find that if you put some chicken wire (or other see through wire) about a foot around the entrance to the funnel that will allow the released birds to see the birds inside the pen will make a big difference.

Two things.

First I put 4x4 skids under the pen so it would be easier to move do u think that is an issue being raised up a little more?

Second if I make a chicken wire slot in the front for the outside quail to see in, do u think they would see the quail up high roosting? When I have noticed the quail on the outside are next to the pen the quail on the inside are up high roosting trying to call them. Just a thought.

Thanks for all the help

Two things.

First I put 4x4 skids under the pen so it would be easier to move do u think that is an issue being raised up a little more?

Second if I make a chicken wire slot in the front for the outside quail to see in, do u think they would see the quail up high roosting? When I have noticed the quail on the outside are next to the pen the quail on the inside are up high roosting trying to call them. Just a thought.

Thanks for all the help
The skids maybe a problem. I think it might encourage the birds to scoot under the pen than go through the funnel. The best success for me was with a ground level funnel, with heavy hardware cloth screens on around the base. Do not use chicken wire, they get there heads through the wire, hang them selves, or get decapitated by coons or possums. The fabric of chicken wire is to fragile to withstand an attack. I assume your funnels have an upward angle going into the pen? I use a 4" or 6" front to back angle, with the entry way ground or close. The skids are great, so you can move them or be able to clean out under them. I make my skids internal with lag bolt hooks through the siding so you can hook and pull. My floors are quarter inch hardware cloth, inside, with a double layer of 1/2 hardware cloth below, so droppings fall through. A lot of the problems comes under the pen, from burrowing predators, disease,ammonia. With a predator-proof funnel, you should be fine.Small gauge chicken wire is fine at the roosting level. I use the 1/4" hardware cloth as re-enforcement inside the plywood walls up from the floor. I have had losses from a staggering variety of predator issues. In 40 years of doing this, I believe I might have anticipated almost everything. My quail have reproduced in my johnny boxes. I use millets, buckwheat, sunflowers, wheat, a little milo, in my grains, supplement with meal worms I grow,and small foil pans of grown alfalfa sprouts. I keep one drinker with poultry electrolytes in it and one of fresh water, with oyster shell, mixed with red granite grit. 4x4x6' tall, and because they wind affected, I stake them down,with a t-posts outside,simple to jack them up and relocate. Almost never loose a bird except run-a-ways, or dog damage.

Great info oldandnew. What i have decided to do rather than taking the runners off is build up the area in front of the pen with dirt and make the funnel basically even with the earth. i will build it up with dirt as to not change the elevation to drastic. Hope it works!!!

I will keep you posted.

put a flat rock in front of the entrance so as they go along the bottom edge of the pen they have to climb up on it

I did that and it solved the exact same issue. I left the skids so I could move it every few days and keep them from living over bird dung

Has anyone had any success using similar cage like this on the picture(with pigeon type doors instead of a funnel) for recalling and recapturing Bobwhite's?

unnamed-7.jpg

Pigeon trap might catch them....but a predator will figure it out just as quick, some day you will have a fat possum with quail wings in you pen, to big to get out! In my opinion there are not any savings in not doing it right. A call back johnny is a home, the pigeon trap is impossible to stay stationary, service, and meet the needs of the quail. I think it is also impossible to train a dog without one or have access to acreage where wild birds are available to train on. Predictable wild coveys are better!

Back