Really simple retriever training book

Bob Peters

I don't have a dog so I borrow one from a buddy to go hunting. She's a 3.5 year old field bred golden, hasn't had any formal training but listens well and very obedient. I'm just looking for a basic book on retriever training that I could give to my buddy(her owner). We bring her duck and pheasant hunting and she does a good job, I just know there's always little things to work on, plus I love reading about dogs and training etc. Thank you for any recommendations.

Last edited:
Bob: Your last two sentences are a bit confusing...can you clarify what you're trying to accomplish? If you continue to hunt the dog, why wouldn't training techniques be applicable in your situation.

Do you plan to "work with her" or attempt training while you are hunting? Training someone else's dog probably not a good idea...

Thanks for the clarification, Bob.

Not sure what to suggest regards books to read. Some cover water aspects of retrieving and others deal with upland. I don't duck hunt, so my focus has been entirely on the upland experience.

Years ago I read Richard Wolters books - he has several and was a good source; I'm sure there are lots of newer techniques and books about dog training. Perhaps google "retriever training books" and see what comes up.

My Golden points when a bird refuses to move - and he points skunks and other critters. Something I taught him early on, kind of fun watching him lock up on a bird. I did this on my own, without the help of a book - the dog took to it quite naturally.

I digress...good luck with your Golden, they are fun to hunt with and can be very intense hunters.

Get the Fowl Dawgs DVD by Rick Stawski. It would be hard to suggest any training ideas without viewing the dog and it current level and ability. Everybody's opinion of what good obedience is can vary. Sit means Sit so does the dog sit for 15 minutes without any movement? Is the dog steady? Does it deliver to hand? Does it do 2 sided healing? Just some examples. When training you have to follow a program and have an end goal in mind. For basic gun dog training you are looking at a 3 or 4 month program. It is consistent training with a couple of 15 minute session a day. That said, it will probably be difficult to train a 3.5 year old dog, not that it can't be done, but difficult. I don't know that I would want to put a dog of that age through collar conditioning and force fetch. Good luck!

Last edited:
Get the Fowl Dawgs DVD by Rick Stawski. It would be hard to suggest any training ideas without viewing the dog and it current level and ability. Everybody's opinion of what good obedience is can vary. Sit means Sit so does the dog sit for 15 minutes without any movement? Is the dog steady? Does it deliver to hand? Does it do 2 sided healing? Just some examples. When training you have to follow a program and have an end goal in mind. For basic gun dog training you are looking at a 3 or 4 month program. It is consistent training with a couple of 15 minute session a day. That said, it will probably be difficult to train a 3.5 year old dog, not that it can't be done, but difficult. I don't know that I would want to put a dog of that age through collar conditioning and force fetch. Good luck!

Thanks this is useful info!!!

10 Minute Retriever by John and Amy Dahl is an excellent reference, I use that for the first 6-12 months of my program. After that I use Even Graham's Smartwork method (Smartwork & Smart Fetch books).

Tom Dokken's Retriever Training is another good one. I've also used John & Amy Dahl's 10 Minute Retriever, and Richard Wolters' Game Dog.

Charles Journey's book Finished Retriever is a pretty long book but it has some good stories mixed in so its much more interesting reading. I wouldn't recommend it as a stand alone training manual but its loaded with great information.

10 Minute Retriever by John and Amy Dahl.

Back