Ready for new pups first season

nrhpilot

This is "Tank" my first GSP, who is almost 7 months. I also have a 5 yo lab who is a veteran. Any suggestions on how I handle the opener this year with the two dogs? I think I should hunt them one at a time this year and not together until the youngin gets his stuff together. Any others out there with experience in this situation?

tankbackyard7months.jpg

i sure hope we get to have a reunion hunt this year in kansas, maybe tank can teach niki (his sister) a thing or too

Absolutely keep them separate...you have two different types of dogs for the first reason...and secondly...the pup needs to find itself on its own...let instinct take over rather than be concerned with another dog and their different type of hunting.

Absolutely keep them separate...you have two different types of dogs for the first reason...and secondly...the pup needs to find itself on its own...let instinct take over rather than be concerned with another dog and their different type of hunting.

Thanks for the input! My Lab will be pissed at me, but he'll get over it

i sure hope we get to have a reunion hunt this year in kansas, maybe tank can teach niki (his sister) a thing or too

Yea Wayne, would be great to meet up sometime this season! I think the pups are going to do just fine. I may even get to come down to the Medford area this year to meet some old friends around thanksgiving time, maybe we could get together then. I believe they hunt with a couple of weims.

Thanks for the input! My Lab will be pissed at me, but he'll get over it

Just take them out separately...you dont want to mix cattle and sheep...if you take a pointing dog( young one) out with a flushing dog...there might be bad habits there that would take you forever to get out of the system.

nick,do you hear anything on some of the other pups ? i see some on facebook but not sure who all got one.?

I know of two of them. Tankerchief in Wichita has one of the solid liver males "Mack", and another friend of mine has a solid liver female "Millie" and they just moved to North Dakota. Mack has a really good point and is a beautiful dog and a little thinner and shorter than my pup.

I know of two of them. Tankerchief in Wichita has one of the solid liver males "Mack", and another friend of mine has a solid liver female "Millie" and they just moved to North Dakota. Mack has a really good point and is a beautiful dog and a little thinner and shorter than my pup.

i did not millie,i was looking on the old site on here . i do see takerchief on facebook also

I also got a pup out of the litter, Champ from everything I've seen of the other pups Champ is quite a bit taller than the others but also pretty thin. He's been really easy to handle to boot, so I'm a happy papa! lol

I agree I have pointing labs but they don't honor GSP's or each other, the lab would not be a good example for Tank to learn from, two different styles.

I also got a pup out of the litter, Champ from everything I've seen of the other pups Champ is quite a bit taller than the others but also pretty thin. He's been really easy to handle to boot, so I'm a happy papa! lol

niki is a mean little **** she is tall & has long legs,and still lays on my chest
i cant get photos to post on here but i have some on facebook

Back