RATTLER!!

I’ve always heard that if a dog is bitten on the head or leg they have a good chance of recovery. The chest not so much.
As far as the vaccine every vet has their own opinion. It’s a 15 dollar booster so I don’t care. If my dog gets bit and it eases some discomfort or has a little quicker recovery that’s great.
My vet needs a few days to get it in for me . I can’t imagine he’s ordering in a 50 dose vial or anything. If you’re wanting the vaccine and your vet says he can’t find it, I’d push. Hell have them call east central veterinary in Wichita I’m sure he’d be happy to tell them where he’s getting it from.

I’ve always heard that if a dog is bitten on the head or leg they have a good chance of recovery. The chest not so much.
As far as the vaccine every vet has their own opinion. It’s a 15 dollar booster so I don’t care. If my dog gets bit and it eases some discomfort or has a little quicker recovery that’s great.
My vet needs a few days to get it in for me . I can’t imagine he’s ordering in a 50 dose vial or anything. If you’re wanting the vaccine and your vet says he can’t find it, I’d push. Hell have them call east central veterinary in Wichita I’m sure he’d be happy to tell them where he’s getting it from.
I think that’s a great way to view the vaccine, most dogs will survive. Bites in chest, flank and muscle bound hips are a real problem. If we can get a small percentage of help on a bite for the price of a cheap steak I’m in. I’m still headed to the vet to do what’s necessary.

Ever encountered or been struck by a rattlesnake while hunting (or otherwise)? Share the stories.

I've encountered a rattler five times: First: on a piece of walk-in in SW NE. Made me jump! I turned around and gave it a load of no. 6 based on sound location and luckily connected, sending it flying. Second: was chukar hunting in northern NV on top of a little mesa with a broken rock top. Rattling started. I kind of tiptoed toward the sound, but it was deep in the broken rock and there it stayed. Third: while helping harvest wheat in western KS I went to my car but a vole scampered under the driver side door area with a rattler trailing it; took evasive action. Fourth: was in western KS walking through a prairie dog town when a rattler lit up. It was getting some November sun and then it wasn't. Fifth: a rattler was on a backroad while I was scouting for turkey in western KS. Tried to run over it but it evaded three times. Got out of the car and used a shotgun. I've been lucky, especially in NE when I was well within striking distance.
Thumbs down

Back