Rate your gaiters.

Rogue Hunter

I've contemplated a pair of gaiters for a couple years. I think this may by the right time (end of season sales) to buy a pair. If you go to Amazon, there is page after page of gaiters, but most seem to be made for hiking and other "lite weight" pursuits. One caveat, I'm no longer hypnotized by the "breathable and waterproof" shtick of GOR-TEC; I've spent too much money on that crap. I want something that will hold up to briers, switch glass, and water...being a bit warm doesn't bother me.

So, what have you used and what is your opinion on brands?

I would also add...made somewhere other than China.

thanks

Last edited:
Very much like my ORs.

Wear Kennetrek and love them. Knee high, weather proof, and extremely durable. Bought a pair of Banded gaiters and strap busted on 2nd wearing...less than impressed.

I've used Kennetreks for years and they work. More expensive than the Amazon "made in China" stuff (I honestly don't know where Kennetreks are made so maybe I'm speaking out of hand), but they are heavier and quieter. That said, I buy one or two pair of the "made in China" junk from Amazon each year for half of the cost of one pair of Kennetreks and toss them at the end of the season.

I've contemplated a pair of gaiters for a couple years. I think this may by the right time (end of season sales) to buy a pair. If you go to Amazon, there is page after page of gaiters, but most seem to be made for hiking and other "lite weight" pursuits. One caveat, I'm no longer hypnotized by the "breathable and waterproof" shtick of GOR-TEC; I've spent too much money on that crap. I want something that will hold up to briers, switch glass, and water...being a bit warm doesn't bother me.

So, what have you used and what is your opinion on brands?

I would also add...made somewhere other than China.

thanks
Kuiu gaiters are fantastic, best piece of gear I have bought in several years.

Kuius look like good ones.

Very much like my ORs.
Have had Outdoor Research gaiters for years - well built and have lasted a long time. I did buy an off brand on Amazon and they fell apart after a couple of seasons: Velcro came loose (snaps are a better idea) and the portion that wraps around the boot had to be redone.

Currently wearing an Aslo brand pair that I found at Sierra Trading, front zip. Buddy likes his Kennetrek's. Battle Lake Outdoors makes some in MN if you want to shop local.

I prefer the style with a strap under the boot instead of string/lace material. For me the front zip is less likely to un-zip than a rear zip but the rear zip is easier to put on.

I've got the kennetrek xkg, very tough. Showing no wear after 3 seasons. A bit warm in the early season but probably not anymore than the other brands.

I've got the kennetrek xkg, very tough. Showing no wear after 3 seasons. A bit warm in the early season but probably not anymore than the other brands.
Made in USA? ( Kenetrek Pac Boots are currently assembled in Thailand, the Kenetrek Mountain Boots are made in Italy, and the Kenetrek Light Hikers in Romania.)

Back