Rainy Minnesota pheasant opener?

Slyringneck

Well if you look at the forecast Saturday looks like its going to be wet. I'm still going to western Minnesota and fight the rain. Any good tips for hunting roosters in the rain?? Good hunting to you all.

only good thing about the rain is what TBEAR said it will hopefully keep the hunter numbers down & the fair weather boys at home???

i my-self hate the rain to hunt in!!! it figures we are in the middle of a drought & on opening day we get rain!!! B/S mother nature!!! lol

Well if you look at the forecast Saturday looks like its going to be wet. I'm still going to western Minnesota and fight the rain. Any good tips for hunting roosters in the rain?? Good hunting to you all.

Hunt the thicker cover were the birds can get out of the rain. Brush clumps, tree groves even some thicker grass should be good. The nice thing is the birds should hold pretty tight and not run as much. With how dry it has been the rain will really help the dogs pick up the scent. Should make for a great day Sunday as well.

Last edited:
I'd rather hunt in rain that heat for sure!!

I've always had great luck in the rain as the birds tend to sit better. I normally don't hunt patches of trees, but in the rain I'll take the time to walk 'em. Of course I find 'em in CRP and plum thickets, but I always look for 'em there anyway.

Good luck and take some pics for us.

I like the rain too as long as it isn't a downpour. I've got good gear and I always have good success in the rain. Dogs like it too. The water holds the scent down and birds hold tighter.

Back