Quick Breeding Question

Pointer Man

I own a 2 yr old English Pointer, he is a solid hunting dog and a great family pet. I am still working with him with high expectations for his third year. He has a good bloodline including Elhew Snakefoot and a few other notables, but I am not a field trial-er so my dog isn't going to be winning any NSTRA champion titles anytime soon. What are the chances that I would be able to stud him out and get one of his offspring? I don't imagine an established kennel would be interested in this sort of arrangement. Any ideas would be appreciated.

The breeding question has been debated on this site before. I have gone on record as one that feels that breeding should be left up to the professionals that are truly in it to enhance the breed. The breeders that ask the questions like: Are the hips of both sire and dam certified and good? Do both meet the standards of the breed? Are the dogs coats what they should be? Do they have the proper temperament? Do they have the necessary drive and abilities to be great hunting dogs? etc, etc, etc.

I'm not saying you can't find a female to breed your dog to and end up with a good up. But what about the rest of the litter? There are a ton of pups out there on the market. If you got your dog from a reputable breeder I would start with a visit with him. Run your questions by him.

I'm sure everyone that has a dog that they think is exceptional thinks it would be nice to have one of their offspring. I use to think that way but not anymore. Now I have my dogs fixed (makes for a better pet) and when I need another dog I go out and find and excellent breeding and buy one.

But then, everyone has their own opinion. I'm not saying mine is right or wrong but I think it does make a lot of sense. Good luck.

Thanks for the perspective on the issue Dakotazeb. I see where you are coming from and I'll give it some serious thought. I would imagine I would be able to get another fine hunting dog without breeding the one I currently own. The only real reason I was thinking of it is because the past two years have flown by and I know that it won't be too long before my current dog is gone and it would just be a way of keeping a piece of him around. Again thanks for the insight, much appreciated.

PM, talk to your breeder, he might know of some females he has sold or produced that will enhance or compliment your dog. Be responsible and it is not a cheap venture. Your breeder will open your eyes big time!! Also learn about I.C. ( inbreed coefficient ) If your breeder doesn't use this it might throw up a red flag!!!

Last edited:
I own a 2 yr old English Pointer, he is a solid hunting dog and a great family pet. I am still working with him with high expectations for his third year. He has a good bloodline including Elhew Snakefoot and a few other notables, but I am not a field trial-er so my dog isn't going to be winning any NSTRA champion titles anytime soon. What are the chances that I would be able to stud him out and get one of his offspring? I don't imagine an established kennel would be interested in this sort of arrangement. Any ideas would be appreciated.

You have gotten some solid advice.

There are many outstanding EP stud dogs around with performance credentials plus health clearances for established breeders to chose from.

Its far easier to go buy a pup from an established EP breeder than to try to DIY IMHO. I know I can buy a better pup than to breed one myself.

Just sayin...........

NB

You have gotten some solid advice.

There are many outstanding EP stud dogs around with performance credentials plus health clearances for established breeders to chose from.

Its far easier to go buy a pup from an established EP breeder than to try to DIY IMHO. I know I can buy a better pup than to breed one myself.

Just sayin...........

NB

It can't be said any clearer than that! My position exactly.

you guys are crazy if you have 2 dogs with outstanding breeding excellent features and is a phenominall hunter you can breed your own cheaper than you can buy one and you can sell the rest to pic up the cost of having a litter

There's so much wrong with your ideas, GCB, but it can be summed up in several simple statements.

If you can't afford to LOSE MONEY on a breeding, you have no business thinking about doing it.

If you have someone lined up to buy every pup in the litter, you can bank on a number of them falling through.

If you don't require money down ahead of time you can count on a number of them falling through. If you require money ahead of time (as you should), you can count a number of people who said they'd like a pup to change their mind.

If you or someone in your family can't afford to take a significant amount of time off from work--or if you can't juggle your schedules to the point where you don't see each other for a month or more so one of you can always be around for a dam or pups who have trouble--you have no business breeding.

There are good reasons to breed yourself on some occasions but you need to have suitable titled or otherwise proven dogs to do it; SERIOUS, cash down buyers lined up ahead of time or at least the time to work hard at marketing your pups including a significant advertising budget; enough money and available time away from your regular job if things go wrong;, etc.

tm thats good information but unfortunately your probably one of those guys who wouldnt know a well bred honest gundog if it was under your feet I have personally raised the majority of my dogs other than when I need to outcross and have never had any problems whatsoever in getting rid of them and for time it takes roughly an hour extra at night and in the morning to check on females and pups really its not as hard as you may think granted sometimes you may have a problem but thats why we have complete faith and a great working relationship with our vets really its ubsurd to buy a dog unless your not into breeding your own

Let's see. Last litter I bred had multiple titled dogs (AKC MH, NSTRA, Field Trials/NAVHDA) including hall of fame dogs on both sides.

Dam directly out of an extremely well known producer in the breed. Stud a generation or two removed from Hall of Fame dogs on both sides, studded out by a professional for a few years and then sold for $10,000.

My vet bill just for the delivery was over $1200.

It went up from there as the pups had to be hand fed.

Every 3-4 hours.

She had 11 pups. 7 Survived the birth, one died a few weeks later (after a lot of effort and a few hundred $$ of vet services itself).

I've known a number of folks who planned what appeared to me to be decent breedings where just a pup or two survived.

Things can go wrong, things do go wrong, and you have to plan and be capable of dealing with things going wrong.

It's no different than having a baby, except there isn't a welfare system to support bad dog breeding decisions. Lots of people can't afford a baby and/or are ill-prepared for it, so shouldn't even think about it. But they do it anyway. That some of those kids turn out OK in the end doesn't mean that we shouldn't advise people against it!

you are right it can be expensive on all accounts but i'm not going to preach to someone on why they shouldnt do it or why they should life is choices and some of us choose to raise our own dogs rather than spend 10,000 on a dog which in my opinion is just STUPID no matter how goodhe is or his bloodline is and as far as loosing those pups it happens I lost a whole litter once becouse the power went out during an Ice storm and I couldn't get there fastenough to keep them worm with the generator its a 50 50 deal sometimes you win and sometimes you loose and the majority of the time i've one so it is a good deal for me to breed my own

Back