Question/Place to hunt

bubby24

I am from SW Mo and have never hunted in Kansas. We are looking for advice on where to go (public land, etc.) We both teach/coach, so it would be a weekend or holiday hunt. I have only hunted pheasants once and got hooked. I will have my 11 year old son with me. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks

I would head straight west to the Liberal area. A lot of walk in area and you can have great action on pheasant and quail.

zeepo

I would say go up around the Jewell County area. Me and my dad go up there a couple times a year and we have pretty good luck. The surrounding counties have quite a bit of WIHA too. From what we've heard from the farmers around that area it sounds like the population is pretty good this year!

Where ever you end up goin good luck!

Justin

Not sure but from what I've heard just about anywhere west of Great Bend should be a decent trip. Have a good time in the field with your son, I've probably got about 3 or 4 more years before my son gets to join me....

With your sons age I highly recommend taking him during the youth hunt the weekend before the opening. We use to take my nephews, their buddys, and neighbor kids for several years and it was an awesome time. With the birds not being hunted since the last season they got in plenty of shooting and it was a great preseason workout for the dogs. We also never ran into anybody else out in the fields.

I'm with Kiotehntr and Tucker. I hunt my way to western KS at least twice each season, and it seems like the action starts picking up after you pass Great Bend. The hunting pressure is less the farther you go West, and the farther you get from the interstate. Taking advantage of the youth season is a really good idea too.

Your spot on Toad, I've been hunting pheasants in Kansas for 10 years and to me it seems the farther north and west you go the less pressure and more birds. It's a long drive but its well worth the trip. Good luck on the hunt!!

Back