Question on Shock collars and cold temps.

3car

I have a sport dog shock collar and also noticed this last year as well. It seams after an hour of walking in colder temps the effectiveness of the shock decreases or is nonexistent. The lab I have is very responsive to any shock but after an hour in cold temps the dog doesn't respond. Has anyone experienced this? Maybe its the batteries loosing their effectiveness when its really cold? The collar was new last year.

Honestly I don't know about the cold. but mine had the same symptoms so I ordered both batteries online for about 50 bucks and replaced them myself. The charge lasts longer now and was much cheaper than having to send to collar clinic like my old collars. The cold logically would affect how long the charge lasts, but the battery change was quick and easy. A new set of batteries should fix the collar, though I'm no expert. Mine is 3 years old and used quite a bit.

I dont know how old the dog is - but if you're worried about the battery usage you are likely WAY overusing the collar. Your dog is probably hunting scared.

Change your mindset - collar is there only to help reinforce and safety reasons if a dog is not listening (ie crossing a road etc) Other than that it shouldn't be needed if you've trained correctly and you are letting the dog do its job.

Get a GPS collar if you need to know where it is or are concerned about that.

:cheers:

This topic/question might well be posed to the manufacturer; would assume they have broached this question in their market research...

I know my car battery doesn't like severe cold!

I dont know how old the dog is - but if you're worried about the battery usage you are likely WAY overusing the collar. Your dog is probably hunting scared.

Change your mindset - collar is there only to help reinforce and safety reasons if a dog is not listening (ie crossing a road etc) Other than that it shouldn't be needed if you've trained correctly and you are letting the dog do its job.

Get a GPS collar if you need to know where it is or are concerned about that.

:cheers:

I understand what your saying but that is not it. She only needs a tone and she turns around. I should have said the tone even seams to quit working as well as the shock. The absolute longest I ever hunt is maybe two hours is all and I usually have my birds. Plus the collar is only two years old. It almost seams like its more the remote than anything.

It sounds like a battery issue to me. I had an 1825 model for two years that worked unbelievably well right up until the time it only worked for about 15 minutes. I bought another after two days, and I keep it outside all of the time, even in ND winter, and I hunt with it every day...I only charge it once a week and only use the tone function. I may only push the tone button 4 or 5 times a day, but this new one acts as the old one did- seems to last much longer on a charge than another more expensive brand that I used for 8 years before buying this brand. I bought this brand because it was the only one available to me the day that I needed one.

It sounds like a battery issue to me. I had an 1825 model for two years that worked unbelievably well right up until the time it only worked for about 15 minutes. I bought another after two days, and I keep it outside all of the time, even in ND winter, and I hunt with it every day...I only charge it once a week and only use the tone function. I may only push the tone button 4 or 5 times a day, but this new one acts as the old one did- seems to last much longer on a charge than another more expensive brand that I used for 8 years before buying this brand. I bought this brand because it was the only one available to me the day that I needed one.

I am going out in 20 minutes and its 12 below right now. See what it does.

its the buttons on the remote. They must be freezing "out" and they are really hard to push down. If I push down on the buttons hard enough I can see the light come on, on the remote indicating that's its sending a signal.

Do you dare to lube them?

CLP works to -40 - assume a little dab will do it?

Let us know what fix you decided - I think my remote was not 100% last week...

I would call SportDog first before lubing it.

Those buttons are just little electronic on/off switches. I wouldn't think they would need any lube at all; I think they are designed to run "dry". If somehow moisture got into them maybe that is what is freezing up.

Well after some chatting with a rep from Sportdog online they decided to replace the collar. Sportdog was really good to work with. Plus its technically out of warranty too but they are replacing the collar and remote.

The remote had terrible range and the cold temps were a factor as well. I was estimating the range at maybe 10 yards after doing some more work with it. I was putting the remote inside my coat to help with the cold temps but it still did not help with range.

Back