Quail!!!

vdduplander

I finally saw my first covey this year. The covey was 15-20 birds strong which is good to see after the ice storm 2 weeks ago and last weeks snow. I ended up taking two birds should have had two more but those little guys fly fast...

Congratulations!!! I'm happy to hear of your humble success. I hope you find more next time. I'm planning a prairie chicken/quail hunt tomorrow morning near Olpe, KS. I hope to see a covey or 2. I'll take pictures of the chickens (if I can hit em') and post them on the website with a report no later than Saturday.

prarie chickens

If anybody wants to find a good spot for prarie chickens go to jeffries energy center. There is a piece of land that is not in the gated park that not too many people know about. To help you find this place you can go to Belvue and drive north out of the town. Follow it for a couple miles and you will see some signs. If you go to the northern most part of the land, hop the hill going east. You should scout the field first, I havn't hunted it in a year but I have always found them there. There are 3 groups of 15 chickens that work that field every morning and evening.

today's hunt

Saw a flock of 25 prairie chickens and one lone quail. I have a feeling the dog flushed the covey when it was out of sight, but I'm not sure. I know that little guy probably wouldn't have a chance out there by himself. The places that I hunted weren't especially good spots or anything, so this is by no means an accurate reflection of quail hunting opportunities (or lack thereof) in the area I was in. My legs tired quickly chasing those chickens around, so I decided to call it a day. I may take vmartin4's advice and head to Jeffery's and try to find those birds. Are you talking about a grass field or a bean field vmartin4? Send me a private message if you wish.

Chickens!

Well That Piece Of Public Land (jeffries) Has Done Very Well For Me In The Past, And I Have Never Seen A Bigger Flock Of Chickens Anywhere, But It Is Public And I Know There Is Atleast One Other Guy That Knows Of Them And He Hunts Them Almost Too Much. The Birds Are Very Cautious. The Only Way That I Hunted These Bird Is Stalking Through The Ditches Or Hiding In The Grass, Waiting For Them To Come Off The Roost And Into The Bean Field. You Would Have To Waste Time Scouting Where They Are And Where They Are Going The First Time Out, And Hunting Them Walking Through The Grassy Hills I Don't Know How Well That Would Work Cause The Ever Watchfull Sentries Alarm And Fly Too Far For A Shot.

NC KS quail

There are still some good size coveys of quail in NC KS. The area that I hunt has had too much pheasant hunting pressure and hasn't been very productive for the pretty birds. We managed to kick up 3 coveys, the smallest had 15 birds in it. I'm done hunting NC this year; there are birds there, but good luck getting close to them. The topography makes blocking with a 5-man group very challenging.

Best of luck to everyone.

Back