Quail improved as well

Driving in from NC next week to hunt after the opener. I'm pumped about the increase in numbers and looking forward to getting out. Just wondering if folks were seeing an increase in quail and in what areas?

We have always hunted NW iowa but thinking about some of the southern areas if there a reasonable chance of mixed bags......

I'm really hoping to see lots of posts about opening day and the birds abound on the thread by Sunday morning:p

I have been told that others are seeing quail but I have not seen many so far this fall around the Pottawatomie Co area's. Your best bet would be to hunt the SE part of the State. Depending on your driving route, you may be able to hit some nice areas on the way into or out of the State.

Quail numbers are up from an all time low, the road surveys show the numbers being as high as they have been since 1994 and 2002. I have certainly heard more birds this year than I have since the mid '90s (while in southern Iowa). That doesn't mean we're stacked by any means, but things are certainly looking up.

Interestingly, I've heard/seen quail in 3 counties north of I80 for the first time since I moved north (10yrs). I would not consider them huntable populations and I keep their locations pretty quiet because of that. The southern tier of counties will be the most productive, I'd be tempted to head South Central or South West - Page and Taylor, Appanoose, Wayne, Davis counties have always been the hot spots and as predicted they show the highest #'s on the august roadside survey as well.

Good luck, thanks for coming to Iowa! Hope you have a great trip.

Quail numbers are up from an all time low, the road surveys show the numbers being as high as they have been since 1994 and 2002. I have certainly heard more birds this year than I have since the mid '90s (while in southern Iowa). That doesn't mean we're stacked by any means, but things are certainly looking up.

Interestingly, I've heard/seen quail in 3 counties north of I80 for the first time since I moved north (10yrs). I would not consider them huntable populations and I keep their locations pretty quiet because of that. The southern tier of counties will be the most productive, I'd be tempted to head South Central or South West - Page and Taylor, Appanoose, Wayne, Davis counties have always been the hot spots and as predicted they show the highest #'s on the august roadside survey as well.

Good luck, thanks for coming to Iowa! Hope you have a great trip.

Thnaks for the info. We have hunted iowa for several years and find the area and the people to be awesome and much less snottty than some more talked about areas. Missed last year but didn't sound like all that much to miss. Might try to hunt in or out and pick up some of the other areas and try to raise a covey. BTW from what I understand mild hunting pressure to bust up the coveys actually can improve the population as more seem to nest with gentle pressure during a recovery period. NC used to be a hot bed for quail but the gummit and their burning bans haven't helped us get any significant recovery of the populations

Back