Put corn out today.

Had 3-4 inches of new snow since the last time I was out, temp was just over zero today, should have worn the snowshoes. Have over a foot of snow on the ground now, Dumped 3 buckets at the far feeding spot, the barrel maybe has 10-12 gallons left now. Will get that barrel emptied easy enough this season. Checked the trail cam, it said "SD Card Full", YA!! So I carried it out with me. Got home and the card is maybe bad...one pic, which must have been when I was putting it out. Can't believe my inability to get bird pics!!! Carried in another bucket of corn on the opposite end of the property, birds had been at that now also. Need to get the trail cam back out, for one last try.

Today I got 2 totes full of corn at the elevator, walked in with 3 buckets, stomped down the snow in a few spots 30 to 50 yards off the road and left piles for them. Returned the feeding area by the barrel and that was picked almost bare, so I threw-out 4 more buckets there. No luck using the different trail cam...one night pic of the same bird hunter (coyote). Put the newer Cuddy cam back out and cabled it on the barrel of corn....I will get pics now...unless these COLD temps kill my batteries first!
Thats great that you do that. Good karma.

Feeding day again. Put out 10-12 gallons from the barrell, very little corn left on the ground, a ton of activity there. Put a trail cam on the barrel for my final attempt to get feeding pics. Used a plastic sled to pull in about 10 gallons in to a feeding spot on the opposite corner of the quarter. Was a little left there also. The neighbor on the east side of the section, text me earlier in the week, that there was over a 100 birds scratching in the thin snow areas of the bean stubble field. I used the sled again, made 2 trips out, a couple hundred yards, with about 20 gallons of corn, spread out where they had scratched the ground bare. I drove back by this a couple hours later and could see maybe 50 feeding/scratching. They weren't to where the corn is that I placed yet, but they should get there.

Started snowing early this morning, just quit, another 6 inches for them to try to dig through....this is shaping-up to be one of the worst winters in over a decade for them. The only positive was that we didn't get any night-time snow-blows that buried them in their beds....yet. It is about 33 degrees, first time above freezing that we have seen for awhile...but I think most of us have been experiencing this extreme cold recently.

Your cameras have a sensitivity adjustment in the settings/ menu. If you are not getting any pictures-You’ll have better luck if you bump up the sensitivity. If you are getting a ton of pictures with no game, your camera is triggered when bushes/ plants sway in the wind-you need to de- sensitize. I’m looking forward to seeing your pictures!

Threw out more corn today, after a week of above freezing, has alot of bean stubble fields getting pretty bare of snow. Pulled my camera and I finally have pheasant pics...almost 400 since the 20th!!! Here is the first pic and last pic, before I pulled it.....I will open a new thread for a big pic dump!

I__00002.JPGI__00394 (1).JPG

Back