Purchasing shotguns online...

chewi004

I have never purchased a gun online before. I have always been kind of skeptic about buying a gun that I haven't seen. I am always scared it is going to show up with scratches, or rust, or who knows what else. I have a shotgun picked out that I really like, and I have found some good deals online but I am still hesitant to "pull the trigger" - pun intended on that one.

What is everyone's feelings on this? Whats the typical added cost for buying a gun online (shipping, FFL fees, etc.)?

NOTE! I am talking about using sites like gun broker or arms list and not facebook or craigslist.

I have bought a few over the years with no bad deals so far. Just use due diligence when shopping.
Many, if not most, sellers on gunbroker give a 2-3 day non firing inspection period on their sales. Other sites similar. If not as described you return it and you are only out return shipping. Don't be hesitant to ask questions or request more detailed photos.
Shipping costs will vary depending on method, location, and insurance but would be in the $20-$45 range I would expect.
FFL dealer's charges will be varied also; you can expect from $15 to $50 depending on the dealer in my area.
Don't be afraid of online shopping but also don't be afraid to do your homework and ask many questions before committing.
Hope you find your treasure!
Bob

I have bought several off of Gunbroker.com with no problems. Check the sellers rating and feedback from buyers. Ask questions and ask for more/better pictures if necessary.

Any modern cell phone can take good quality photos and email them. Thus, anyone selling a gun should expect a request for photos. No photos, no buy.

Great advice so far. Have bought MANY guns online/not seen in person prior. Have only had one that was not up to par and that was my fault for not asking the right questions and specific pics. I always ask for pics of any marks, scratches or issues with the gun. Have found out some peoples idea of minor marks are gouges in my book so by seeing closeup pics really helps to show the condition. Also talk to the seller and make sure you are comfortable with the whole thing. Gunbroker has an FFL look up for your area. Check around as transfer fees can vary a bunch. Guy I used to use went from $20 to $35 after the last scare so I went looking again and found a guy even closer to my house that only charges $15 so worked out great in the end.

With all the technology out there today I think of the internet as my own worlds largest gun store and am going to take advantage of that!! Good luck.

I bought a deer rifle a few years ago for about half the price of a new one. I called the shop owner and asked about the condition. It looked good in the pictures, but I needed a verbal confirmation. He told me that the owner had said that he had fired two boxes of ammo through it, but that it did not look like it. I bought it. I looked at it in the box and thought it had never been fired it looked so good. As I assembled it, I got some powder residue on my hands, so it had been fired, but not much. The gun was flawless and a steal at just under 50% of new prices.

Some good advice here. I have bought two guns online one from GunBroker and one from Buds Gun Shop. No problems with either sale. When in doubt ask for more pictures to make a informed decision. Also look at the sellers rating. Both sites list the shipping cost so you will know before you buy what that is going to cost you. As for FFl I would do a Google search for your area and call several to see what they charge. FFL guy I use charges $30. $20 for the transfer fee and a $10 background check fee. Online shopping opens up a lot of opportunities but just make sure you add the shipping and FFL fee to the price of the weapon to compare it to your local gun stores and see if you are getting a good deal. You also have to be willing to wait the 7-10 days it will take for the gun to make it to your FFL guy.

Thanks everyone! I def would feel better about ordering one online now. Sounds like its preferred method now a days...

If able, I still like supporting my local gun shop, but if theres a few $100 to be saved, it is hard to justify

I just bought a Benelli Ethos from a gun dealer on Gunbrokers for $1700 and no state sales taxes. Same gun locally was $1899 ! Just called one broker that had a few on there,and worked on their price, picked the wood grain of the one I wanted. They ship for$20 to a local FFL dealer.

I won a brand new Left Hand Benelli Montefeltro on Gunbroker.com a couple of weeks ago for $705. Even with shipping and FFL fees I only have $758 total in it. These sell new for $1100-$1200 most places.

I've bought a handful of guns on gunbroker and in the classifieds of another forum I frequent. Never had a single issue.

The FFL holder I use charges me $10 to do the transfer. I asked him why he is so cheap. He said thats the easiest $10 he makes in his gun shop/feed store/hardware store, and people that pay the $10 for the transfer usually end up buying something else while doing the paperwork.

I make a habit out of buying something when I go in for a transfer, box of bullets, case of shells, gun case, bolts, plants, whatever. If buying new I also give him a chance to match the price, or at least come close. If he can't, he tells me to buy it online. If he is within $50 or so, I'll buy from him.

I buy far more guns online than I do at shops, it is just too easy!!:p
Have never been burned, but have a friend who has.
I pretty much stick to online shops and gun forums however.
David

Back