Pup loss

Roy B

Is it common for a female who lost her first litter to lose them a second time? She is a healthy Chocolate lab who will be 4 years old and lost her first pregnancy last year. I have heard that if they lose their first litter they are more likely to lose the second litter as well.
We never did figure out why she lost them and she has no known health issues. She will be bred again after passing her health check in May and we are hoping she carries these pups full term. Thanks in advance

At what point of time in the gestation did she lose them?? Early or late? Confirmed pregnant? Proven male??
She was about a month into it when she lost the pups so early. Both her and the male were cleared medically before breeding occurred.

Last edited:
This is a good question for your vet. If you don't have a vet that has a good reproduction department, I'd suggest finding one. Idk how many times I called my vet for random questions when my female had her first litter, but they were probably tired of hearing from me. But they were a great help.

Was pregnancy confirmed with ultrasound before she aborted? Number of fetus? Male have proven track record or a virgin?? Just looking for the most info, before suggestions.

Was pregnancy confirmed with ultrasound before she aborted? Number of fetus? Male have proven track record or a virgin?? Just looking for the most info, before suggestions.
She was confirmed with 5 pups and the male was a proven stud.

I should have said try again but verify both are healthy. I had a female with a bad tooth. Way back in her mouth not noticeable. Anyone that claims to know anything said get it out well before you breed or she will abort.

Back