Pudelpointer: Steadiness

jmnhunter

Hello, getting our 2nd puppy (first pointer) next spring; I'm beginning to read Bob Farris's PP training book and I've come across the steadiness section.

Do most of you train your pointers to be steady all the way until the flush? or throughout the whole process~ steady all the way until the bird is down?

To be honest, the videos I've seen that show steadiness all the way until the shot are training videos from kennels. Hunting videos from various productions show the point, flush of the bird and the dog is chasing the bird until it drops or is called off--even Bob Farris's pheasant hunting videos show this.

Do what you choose to. It is your dog, your hunt, your preference.

I want my dogs, pointers and the late, great, field Springer, Mick, to start pursuing the bird the minute it flushes. I hunt alone; perhaps if I hunted with others, I'd prefer the dogs hold for wing and shot. I think it is easier for them to mark the fall and pursue as necessary for a runner.

Best wishes, be safe.

Training to remain steady until sent serves three purposes. First, it is safer for the dog. Second, when multiple birds are flushed or shot the dog has a better chance to mark the downed birds. Third, you may determine the retrieving order of a cripple is a higher priority than one shot dead if you drop multiple birds.

Back