Public Pain

KBell

My son and I hunted public on Sunday. Walked one four acre, one ten acre, one forty acre and spent 4 hours in a 200+ acre parcel. We put up two roosters, saw one rooster on the ground and flushed one hen all day. Jumped up two coyotes and several deer. Coyotes were out of range.

You are correct if you are assuming that we didn't take a lunch break.:eek: We hunted from eight until four fifteen.

Very little sign-nests or droppings observed. These sections are very nice in terms of big blue, switchgrass, foxtail, cedars, brome grass and the like. The four acre parcel had big blue that was 6 and 1/2 feet tall. It was all exceptional cover.

Had a conversation with a neighboring land owner of the larger section and he stated that 400 acres of corn came out Thursday to Saturday. All parcels had no corn within site that was standing.:)

Continuing my now familiar reports--tired legs, tired GSH, and no birds. :(

Only been out opening day. Haven't hunted where I live so not for sure how bad it is:) Guys been saying not good at all:( I"m trapping Maybe A few dead furry beast will help pheasant numbers in the future:thumbsup: Crps been getting plowed up all over around here:( Thats not going to help.

Hello CaptainCoot,

Tough is a great word for where we are at. I am even surprised at how few deer we are seeing. Hope your hunting is okay around your home. Would like to meet you sometime.

You know how it hurts not to have a shot at those coyotes! First was a big male and large:). Might be the biggest I've ever seen.

Got to coons today(Ratcoons guys:D) not bad for only having 3 traps:) Not to good with snares. Had something in one pulled fence in field and then broke fence wire. I'm thinking it was bigfoot:D Kinda nice to have the Iowa forum active nice updates Kbell:thumbsup: I'm sure we could arange a get together sometime. If I find that surething pheasant hunt I'll let you know:) I can't go all day without a lunch break though:D

my buddies hunting dog got caught in a snare a few years ago, yes, we had permission and it SCARED THE HELL OUT OF BOTH OF US! we cut the wire, pulled up the stake and threw it in a fencerow.

Hunter94 you make a great point. With trapping now open, I always carry a snips with me. I had a terrible time with my now deceased dog, Simba and a snare wire. Had no way to release her and finally pulled up the stake that was holding her. I ran to my truck and drove straight to the farmhouse. It took my tears, an $80 dollar vet bill and numerous stitches to mend her leg. I do not go out without a snips now.:)

Hello CaptainCoot,

Thank you for the kind words!:) I will be relying on all of you to get through this tough hunting season. I would enjoy meeting many of you since following the site for several years.

I included a picture I thought you would like. The coon pulled the stake, climbed an electrical pole, and then hung himself. No one has discussed this in a forum yet, but furbearers are way up in numbers where I live. Any thoughts why?

Thanks again and I will take a lunch break for you!:)

View attachment 2535

seeing NO pheasant where i deer hunt near mason city. dont even hear any:( seeing lots fewer deer also. have been hearing yotes. lot fewer trappers in area. low fur prices and high gas scared them away. wed sounds like a good hunting day 3-5 inches of snow possible.

Got a skunk and a rabbit today:thumbsup: One trap I had no chain on so me and my massive brain power decided some wire would work. Well whatever got in it broke the wire and keeped my trap:mad: Put up one heck of a fight tore the whole area up. I'm hoping by only trapping private ground the odds of catching someones pet are slim to none.

My buddy went out near the Hancock/kossuth county line on some private ground and him and his brother got 2 out of there, saw a ton though pulling up he said.

Back